Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't pair 3rd-party Bluetooth Keyboard on Mojave (10.4.6)

I have 2 different bluetooth keyboards (Logitech Craft / Microsoft Surface).

These keyboards work great via-bluetooth on the PCs I own, but they just won't pair with any of the 4 Macs I tried them on (three 2019 Macbook Pros and one 2014 Macbook Air).

I can see the keyboard in the Bluetooth window in OS X, but when I click "Connect" it rapidly flickers between "Connected/Not Connected" status and eventually disconnects.

Things I already tried that didn't work:

1. Resetting bluetooth to factory defaults (Debug > Factory Reset...)
  2. Resetting NVRAM or PRAM
  3. Checked that the batteries the keyboards are healthy and there is no interference (like I said, they work on other PCs).
  4. Updating to the latest version of OS X (currently 10.4.6)

If I had to guess, I think this is maybe due to a recent change in 10.4.5 Mojave: Disables accessories with insecure Bluetooth connections.

So what are my options here?

Wait for a firmware update from these keyboard manufacturers?

Wait for Apple's software update?

Resign that I'll never be able to use an external keyboard that isn't made by Apple?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 1:38 PM

After a lot of trying, I managed to get both keyboards working.

Turns out that by default, the keyboards emit a signal that the Bluetooth window in mac OS detects as a keyboard you can connect to, but it tries multiple times and fails. What I needed to actually do is make the keyboards go into "Discoverable" mode, only then I was able to connect successfully.

PS: I had to download Karabiner Elements to re-map the Microsoft Surface keyboard as the "System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys" wouldn't recognize the bluetooth keyboard.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2019 1:38 PM in response to いおり

After a lot of trying, I managed to get both keyboards working.

Turns out that by default, the keyboards emit a signal that the Bluetooth window in mac OS detects as a keyboard you can connect to, but it tries multiple times and fails. What I needed to actually do is make the keyboards go into "Discoverable" mode, only then I was able to connect successfully.

PS: I had to download Karabiner Elements to re-map the Microsoft Surface keyboard as the "System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys" wouldn't recognize the bluetooth keyboard.

Jul 31, 2019 11:53 PM in response to いおり

(oops I replied to myself, I meant to reply to @fmaclen)

Do you have Logitech Options installed? I also have it and I was wondering if it's the thing that causing the trouble.

Logitech Options download page says that the current version 7.14.77 works on Mac OS X 10.14.x, so it seems like it's supposed to be compatible, though the last release was before the launch of 10.14.6 on 2019-07-01. I got the notification for the update right before the OS update, but I updated OS first and Logitech Options later. (Can't quite remember if bluetooth devices stopped working right off the bat, or only after updating Logitech Options.) How's your situation for installation? By the way, I removed Logitech Options using the official uninstaller, but after the reboot and another NVRAM reset, anything didn't change at all.

My bluetooth menu won't even show the other non-Logitech keyboard but only shows my Logitech mouse, and I don't know if it's possible that this software messed it all up this bad, though I thought it just might be possible? This guy in another thread seemed to have some sort of peripheral issue after the same update, and he also has Logitech application installed (though seems like it's USB cam but not bluetooth).

--

I'm asking around in different places online but I see nobody else claiming the issue, and no help whatsoever. At this point, we aren't exactly sure if this is caused by the OS update neither. However, probably that's what it is.

I'll rollback to the previous working version (10.14.5) IF I HAD TIMEMACHINE BACKUPS enabled. If you do have one, rollback to that version and stay safe until the next patch shipped from either Logitech or Apple (or any third party app that you use for that Surface keyboard).

I can't do this and I don't want to rollback as far back to 10.13.x, so I'll just back up the whole disk and start from fresh install of this newest version of macOS. I'll report back how it turned out. I think I'll try that this weekend!

Jul 30, 2019 9:26 PM in response to fmaclen

I have the same exact problem with

• 3rd party keyboard (HHKB Professional BT; compatible with macOS 10.5 and later)
  • 3rd party mouse (Logitech MX Master; compatible with macOS 10.10 and later)

and both of these has been fully working for the last 3 years, almost every weekdays,

This started right after the update to version 10.14.6 from 10.14.5 which has been working for more than a month using literally every weekdays with the exact same device.

These are supposed to be compatible with macOS, but I suppose it's not checked with 10.14.6?

Two manufacturer at the same time?? I doubt it and I think it's failure on the OS side.

Aug 5, 2019 8:59 PM in response to fmaclen

Good for you, and thanks for letting me know! Sadly, it wasn't the case for me, so I'm giving up.

I've been in that mode since the beginning, yet I get the same result. Check back the user's manual for the devices and there were only one way to get it to pair (of course), and it gives this result. Machine forgot these devices so it should be the first time to pair these things, so I don't know what else to do. (For another device, it still won't even show up on the list.) What makes the matter even worse for me is that, these Bluetooth devices works just fine on another updated laptop.

So I must guess that there's some unique situation happening on my laptop. Probably I'm the only one on the earth complaining this.. I suppose I need to flush the system and try again. Hopefully it's not physical issue but just some software bugs relating to some special software configuration that I'm not very aware of.

Anyhow, congrats!

Aug 14, 2019 6:29 AM in response to fmaclen

I have a similar problem following the upgrade of my mid 2015 MBP to 10.14.6 this morning. I am no longer able to connect my Magic Mouse. Indeed sporadically I am unable to switch bluetooth on or off. My mouse no longer appears in the list of devices. Seems like a widespread problem, I've tried every fix that has been posted in various threads online but to no avail.

Can't pair 3rd-party Bluetooth Keyboard on Mojave (10.4.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.