Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 10.14.6 update failure & update won’t shown in software update after failure

my MacBook Air (mid 2013) has recently failed to update to the latest 10.14.6 from the current 10.14.5 through software update in system preference. I’m currently trying to reinstall the macOS and try to update. If not, I have no choice but to download the combo update provided on the official Apple support website. Just want to report this kind of problem to see if there is someone facing the same problem as mind. Previously I even did the clean install for macOS 10.14.5.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 9:34 AM

Hi Evan, I got this support from the online No. 0800-107-6285. I was trying to download 10.14.6. The support assistant sent me the following link which I used from the web to download instead. This worked fine and I'm now updated to 10.14.6.

Cheers. Clive

Hi

Clive,

Your support Advisor has a follow-up message for you.

Hello Clive,

please click this link to get the update

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2010?locale=en_US

Thanks

Similar questions

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2019 9:34 AM in response to Evan Kopelson

Hi Evan, I got this support from the online No. 0800-107-6285. I was trying to download 10.14.6. The support assistant sent me the following link which I used from the web to download instead. This worked fine and I'm now updated to 10.14.6.

Cheers. Clive

Hi

Clive,

Your support Advisor has a follow-up message for you.

Hello Clive,

please click this link to get the update

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2010?locale=en_US

Thanks

Jul 24, 2019 1:01 AM in response to Andy7353

Just updated my Mac through software update in system preference successfully to the version 10.14.6. I found out that the reason why this version won't appear in the software update was due to the on-going FileVault encryption process which was in progress only when the mac being plugged in to the power source. I think the previous update installation failure was somehow caused by this on-going process too. Anyway, the update appeared right away after the complete FileVault encryption. As for that, kindly remind that the FileVault encryption might lead to these kinds of problem, so be careful! If can, I would suggest to turn off the File Vault after updating if there is really no necessary to do so. I hope this post can help to solve the encountered problems for anyone who comes across them. Peace!

Aug 4, 2019 10:11 AM in response to Andy7353

Yes, same here. I have a MacBook Pro 2017 and I can’t get it to update to 10.14.6 . When I press update, there is no progress after a couple minutes and a post pops up saying “An error occurred while installing the selected updates.” So I was wondering if the File Vault things is happening to me too, and if it is, how can I turn it off.

Sep 4, 2019 4:20 PM in response to Clive Gan

Hi Clive, that link worked great on my iMac, thank you! I got an error on my Macbook Air that there wasn't enough space on my drive to do the upgrade... so I had to dump a bunch of stuff up into the cloud and delete it from my laptop and now I'm running the upgrade on that machine.. I'm expecting it to work this time. I wonder if future updates will be able to be successfully installed from the app store.. still wonder why the auto-update from the app store kept failing for upgrading from 10.4.4.. but at least this link here worked. Thanks again! :)

Sep 11, 2019 5:01 PM in response to Andy7353

My wife just bought a new MacBook Air a week ago, and migrated from her mac mini without any issues.

But today it decided to update the OS to 10.14.6 (from 10.14.5), and kept shutting down and restarting.

I disconnected it form the IOGear USB-C docking station (which you need something because what can you do with just 2 USB-C ports ?)... managed to get it restarted, and eventually got the download to complete after turning of the effing Filevault setting, as mentioned above.

Only have wifi available to do the downloading, so that takes a few hours.

But now after completing the download, and attempting to install (I presume), the Apple Logo black screen appears and the white progress bar appears to be froze after moving about a 1/2 an inch.

I try to shut it down and start over, and it starts again, and occasionally makes an "air shushing" noise and shuts back down.... I can't get it to restart to re-attempt the download/installation.

Now what ?

God I hate macs... but my wife likes them, and I get stuck doing the problem solving.

Sep 20, 2019 4:39 AM in response to andrew_cao

I did try downloading the MacOS update file, but got an error trying to install it, telling the that the "installer was damaged".

Tried doing a time machine restore, but kept getting errors on that to the point where I ended up getting the dreaded "folder with the question mark" so the recovery partition could no longer be found.

Ended up having to go to an Apple Store, where they fussed around with it for an hour or more... ended up having to leave it so that they could re-install the factory setting and OS, which ended up with the new 10.14.6 OS system.

I'll see how things go for the next "update" when that happens.

Question: I asked the Apple tech if there was a way to clear out the downloaded update (more like a partial update) so that the download could start fresh from the beginning, and he said "No... it will keep adding to the partial download"... Is this correct ? Is there a way to clear/delete the download ?

I currently have a slow DSL line, and he thinks that may have affected the download, so it may have gotten corrupted... if so Apple or the Mac isn't smart enough to realize this before it starts updating.

Looking at getting Spectrum internet now... but I have to wait for them to do the line bury from the road to the house of about 250 feet.

Sep 23, 2019 7:20 AM in response to Clive Gan

After updating with 10.14.6, the system crashed and I cannot see the internal storage. Instead I get to OS X Base System (2.01Gb). Diagnostics (after paying USD20) says I need to change the Internal Storage costing me USD 495. I tried updating the Combo Update patch as mentioned above ... but it says ... the disk doesnt have enough space. Try deleting .... When I cannot even see the Internal Disk, how can I delete.

Any suggestion?

macOS 10.14.6 update failure & update won’t shown in software update after failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.