Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing my location via the Messages app shows up as Chinese text for my location.

Looks like this has been going on for years with little written about it anywhere online. Also no response from Apple. I'm simply restarting this conversation to see if there has been any new updates regarding this issue. Like many others I do not have any message app add on applications. This was happening on my wife's phone much earlier than mine. Her phone started doing this a year or two back. Mine just recently started doing it. Both of our phones are always up to date with the latest and greatest OS and apps. She has an iPhone 8 and I an iPhone 7. Also since this started happening on our phones we noticed our batteries draining faster than normal. Usually not lasting the whole day. Of course my mind goes straight to malware or some type of hack. What have you experienced?

Here is a link to one of the original posts created in 2018:

When sharing my location via the Messages… - Apple Community

iPhone 7

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 7:05 PM

The only way I was able to resolve this issue was by completely restoring the iPhone and then restoring via iCloud backup. I also changed my Apple ID password just to be safe. I did the same with with my Apple watch as well. So far the location is displayed correct and in English. I'll keep an eye on the battery to see if that's also improved.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2019 7:05 PM in response to boopoopadoop

The only way I was able to resolve this issue was by completely restoring the iPhone and then restoring via iCloud backup. I also changed my Apple ID password just to be safe. I did the same with with my Apple watch as well. So far the location is displayed correct and in English. I'll keep an eye on the battery to see if that's also improved.

Sharing my location via the Messages app shows up as Chinese text for my location.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.