Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When sharing my location via the Messages app, other people see a thumbnail with Chinese text for my location

This is such a bizarre issue I hardly no where to start. When I share my location with people via the messages app, a thumbnail always shows up for me with a string of chinese text. I'm not located next to any Chinese businesses and it does this regardless of where in the world I am. The text apparently translates to something like "Hong Kong Massage" or something like that. I also noticed when my friend shared his location to me from a completely different location it showed HIS location as the same Chinese spa text.

Does anybody know what might be going on here?

User uploaded file

iPhone X, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2018 1:00 PM

User uploaded file

The same thing happened to me as well today; I received this location share, and it's also for the "Hong Kong Tuen Mun Beauty Foot Beauty & Massage Centre" according to Google Translate. The individual that shared this with me and I are located in Canada. I'd love to find out what's going on!

Similar questions

49 replies

Jun 8, 2018 5:42 PM in response to askbarnabas

I have reproduced this issue with four or five different people all of whom have different software installed. This is an Apple issue and has nothing to do with third-party software, it only happens with the stock Apple app messages.

I reset my location privacy settings today but still have the issue. My girlfriend makes fun of me saying “why are you at that Chinese food massage place again”.

Jun 15, 2018 7:21 AM in response to askbarnabas

Yes I have reset my location and privacy settings but it did not solve the issue.

It happens strangely both both when I share my locations to others (others see me in the Chinese foot spa) and when others share their location with me (I see them in the Chinese foot spa). However the name of the spa is simply the thumbnail which shows in-line in messages and when you click into the thumbnail you see the correct location on a map as expected.

Jun 15, 2018 5:13 AM in response to J-a-x

I have this issue too. When my wife shares her location in a text with me (via Share Indefinitely), my wife's location is some location in China with Chinese characters on the thumbnail image, but the English text under it reads our actual location name. Clicking on the image or checking location manually shows the correct location. Does anyone know if the location in China that they are seeing matches the latitude or longitude of their actual location?

Jun 15, 2018 7:45 AM in response to griu45

I don’t see any map of the Chinese location so it’s hard to tell if it’s a Chinese business in the US or a Chinese business in China. I wonder if the GPS chip is manufactured in China and there’s some placeholder location data that comes up by default until the GPS chip gets a lock on our actual location or something similar.

Jun 16, 2018 5:33 AM in response to J-a-x

We are also using Apple's Messages app, with no other new apps installed for months. This appears to be a visual issue with the thumbnail when you Share Location from within the text message. If I click through the thumbnail or click on the i on the top right to check manually I can still see my wife's actual location.

Interestingly, this was still happening to us last night but this morning I see "Location not Available" on the thumbnail for her location instead of China.

As a test, she just shared her location with her brother. Both saw "Location not available" for each other, and then HIS location changed to display as that same 3 character location in Chinese (the same as on J-a-x's post). (For the record, we are all on the East Coast of the US, not in Texas).

My wife and her brother have older phones (iphone 6s plus and 7 plus). I have an iphone 8. Could it be a GPS displaying some default location issue as J-a-x suggested, affecting mainly older slower phones?

Jun 16, 2018 6:43 AM in response to askbarnabas

You keep making the same comment about turning off apps in messages, and we keep telling you we have no apps installed in messages. This issue affects Apple's native "Messages" app while not using any third party apps or "messages apps" (add ons).

Interestingly my girlfriend searched for the new 3-character Chinese business name that shows up (Japanese restaurant) and she says a google search only returns one business with that name and it is in Hong Kong.

I'm about ready to file an Apple bug report on this one. Interesting that it's not just me. Please continue to chime in if others find this issue happening to them as well.

When sharing my location via the Messages app, other people see a thumbnail with Chinese text for my location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.