Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

share sheet uses SMS instead of iMessage

Hello,

I've recently gotten a US phone number after having a UK number. In the UK, I used iMessage exclusively to message people in the UK. Since getting the US number, iMessages continue to work perfectly _within the Messages app_.

My default Send & Receive address is still the same, it is only my phone number that has changed.

However, from the Share Sheet, selecting their Message bubble defaults to SMS! It also only seems to effect my iPhone, all other devices proceed as expected using iMessage when sharing with the share sheet.

Indeed, manually changing the target of the share shows the original +44XXXXXXXXXX number (in green) selected (with blue iMessages in the thread), and an alternative +44XXXXXXXXXX (same exact number, in blue) as an option. It's bizarre and I can not seem to get the share sheet to correctly identify that it should be sent using iMessage instead of SMS.

Would really appreciate any help identifying how to fix this infuriating little bug.

iPhone XS

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 6:05 AM

Hi cmarcotte,

Thanks for the reply! Since only one contact is affected, try deleting the contact in question and then re-create it; does that help? Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Kind regards.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 21, 2020 12:08 PM in response to cmarcotte

Hello cmarcotte,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. As we understand it, you've recently changed from a UK number to a US number, and you're seeing only SMS as an option when you select a contact through the share sheet. Is that right?

It sounds like the steps suggested here might help: Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime. For this specific situation, the "Remove your phone number" section would be your best starting point, followed by the "Set up your phone number" section.

Hopefully that helps.

Take care.

Jul 21, 2020 5:55 PM in response to Chris_D13

Hi Chris_D13,

Sorry, I think I was unclear. I am seeing only SMS as an option only for a specific contact (with a U.K. number) when using the share sheet. Contacting the recipient through the Messages app works correctly (uses iMessage). Using the share sheet to contact others (with US numbers) works correctly (uses iMessage). Further, the issue only affects my iPhone — all other devices correctly use iMessage through the share sheet. The steps in the linked article were taken already, in order to have iMessage as an option in the messages app. Thanks for the advice.

share sheet uses SMS instead of iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.