Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

12.4 update ruined iPhone 6 plus

I updated my iPhone 6 plus to 12.4 from 12.3 and it has practically bricked it. The touch became non-responsive 90% of the time. I've spent days trying to get into my phone and, when it would actually respond, would try turning off as much as I could in settings and deleting apps. I should add that I first updated all apps before the 12.4 update and it was a little glitchy after that, but continue reading. I finally was able to make a backup to my computer and reset the phone to factory settings and then restored the backup. It was still bricked after that so when I was finally able to get the touch to respond, I completely erased it again. This time I have not restored the backup and it is still not responsive to touch. I'd say it might be a little better but it seems that it wasn't an app causing the problem because I haven't installed a single app on it that didn't come from Apple's factory default. This phone was also not dropped or damaged that I know of. It does have a crack on the glass that has been there for several months and never caused a problem. I'm about to take an old 6 and try to restore my phone on it but am making a backup of it's 11.4.1 version that is currently working on it so that if the 12.4 version I backed up on my phone bricks it, I can, hopefully, restore it. Unfortunately, I have everything saved on my phone and have a good backup of it but can't use it if I can't get into any of it. Any ideas? I have pretty much erased and reset everything I could and turned off most settings.

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 11:21 AM

12.4 didn't brick your phone. It's likely that you have a hardware problem that pre-existed the update and the update was enough to push it over the edge.

This is even more likely as your phone is physically damaged.

Make an appointment at the genius bar and have it checked / fixed / replaced.

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 2, 2019 11:37 AM in response to Rusteez71

What I gather from your post, is the previous iOS version you had on your iPhone was iOS 12.3 and there was no problem and just because of iOS 12.4 which only has the following incremental software changes, you have multiple issues.

Are you even aware, what these numbers 12.3, 12.4 denotes? These are incremental software updates on iOS 12. If you had no issue with iOS 12.3 then having issues, like what you have narrated, on iOS 12.4 is no where related to this software updates

Look for some spurious softwares or any unauthorised apps that you may have installed on your iPhone directly from internet.

iOS 12.4

Phone migration

• Introduces the ability to wirelessly transfer data and migrate directly from an old iPhone to a new iPhone during setup

Apple News

• Makes downloaded issues accessible in the My Magazines section, both online and offline
  • Adds all publications in Apple News+, including newspapers, to the catalog at the top of the News+ feed
  • Adds the ability to clear downloaded magazine issues by selecting History > Clear > Clear All

Other improvements and fixes

• Includes a security fix for the Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch and re-enables Walkie-Talkie functionality

This release also includes support for HomePod in Japan and Taiwan.

Aug 2, 2019 4:37 PM in response to KiltedTim

It is feasible that the update pushed it over the edge since it happened so suddenly.

The damage is very minimal and had not affected anything until after the update for probably around 6 months going back to the version 11 because I typically don't update until long after since there are always bugs.

I fix my own phones as needed and have for years starting back with the 4's on up. I just don't have time to do it anymore, except for my family's, as I am a IT Director that is taking care of an entire district's network by myself.

Hence, I am frustrated with the thought of taking it apart and trying to find any hardware issue that may or may not exist but already plan on doing so when I can find time.

Thanks KiltedTim

12.4 update ruined iPhone 6 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.