Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro Max bricked while restoring a backup of old phone

new iPhone 11 Pro Max. Set it up from my old 6s. Went through the screen when I used my old phone camera to take a shot of the cloud/stars on the new iPhone. That went fine.

Then I wanted to restore a backup of my 6s to new phone on my computer. So connected iPhone 11 to the computer, took about 40mins to transfer over. The the phone restarted and said "swipe up to upgrade", I did, input my passcode (same as old phone). Went to a screen with apple logo and progress bar. And the progress bar went fine until about 80% the slowed down and stoped at about 99%!! Stuck there for over an hour on two occasions.

I restarted the phone, twice and same issue.

I cannot restore the phone in iTunes as I cannot turn off Find My. The device is not visible on iCloud.com or on my old 6s.

Any help, ideas, thoughts or similar experiences appreciated. Thanks

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 11:10 AM

Thanks for the update.

A friend of mine suggested the 4010 error code was a server error, and recommended I try again. This morning I tried again, and to my surprise the restore worked. The only other difference was that the Sim card wasn't installed, but otherwise I went to the exact same process. My new phone is up and running without having to go through the hassle of getting it swapped out.

So if anyone else has this issue, it might be worth waiting a bit and trying again.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2019 11:10 AM in response to nono24

Thanks for the update.

A friend of mine suggested the 4010 error code was a server error, and recommended I try again. This morning I tried again, and to my surprise the restore worked. The only other difference was that the Sim card wasn't installed, but otherwise I went to the exact same process. My new phone is up and running without having to go through the hassle of getting it swapped out.

So if anyone else has this issue, it might be worth waiting a bit and trying again.

Sep 27, 2019 11:07 AM in response to TomB985

Returned it. Updated my old phone to 13.1. Then used a iPhone to iPhone transfer not an iTunes backup restore. The new phone updated to 13.1 first. Took about a hour. Working fine.

Other people talked about doing a DFU restore which I didn't want to do. They swapped it out at apple store no issue.

Thanks

iPhone 11 Pro Max bricked while restoring a backup of old phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.