Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does this error message mean?

My Time Machine back ups to my Time Capsule were stalling. I was told by Apple to solve my problem I should quick erase my Time Capsule, remove it, and select it again. Then do a new back up. I did all that. While it's running I have the Console open to catch any error messages.

The back up is progressing fast enough and hasn't stalled yet. It's about 10% done. However, I am getting many instances of the following error message:

si_remotepsid_gettmpath:724: Got reply <xpc object>

What does that error message mean?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 8:50 AM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2019 9:06 AM in response to DeanOfDogs

Not an error message. The message is telling you that your Mac and Time Capsule are sending data and replying to each other.

No need to watch the progress unless you have the extra time to sit for a number of hours. On average, Time Machine will back up about 30-35 GB of data per hour. But, the process starts slowly for first 20-25% of the backup, then picks up speed, then slows down again toward the end of the backup.

Here, we assume that your Mac is connected to the Time Capsule using an Ethernet connection. If you are using WiFi to back up, the process usually takes longer.

Once the backup is done, all the data on the Time Capsule must be indexed, so you may not be able to run another backup for a few hours or more after the initial backup is done.

Unfortunately, Time Machine is prone to corruption issues since the introduction of the Sierra operating system, so when.....not if.....you see the message below, you will know that your backups have become corrupted. Then, you need to erase the Time Capsule and start over again.

What does this error message mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.