Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone X due to manufacturing reasons, dead upon using 20 months, how should I as a consumer move on?

Hi folks,

From the title you know approximately whats going on. So I will break down in few portions.

Model: Iphone X Silver 256GB

Purchase: Sign with Telco plan from 2017 December period

Using: 20 months

Symptoms: Around 3.30pm 3rd August 2019, while I was using Iphone X surfing, the Hp screen starts to black off.

Steps taken:

• Try to power on, no response
  • Try to perform so called hard reset, Volume button up and down and then press side button, no response
  • Use a charger to charge, see apple logo, but flashing on and off for every 6-7 secs
  • Try hard reset, looping sequence continue with no end unless remove from power charging sources, screen goes back to no response black screen.
  • When back home try to link up Itunes at 4.30pm, with the latest Itunes updated, total no communication. and logo looping consistently.
  • After surfing on the internet trying to find solutions nothing helps.
  • Getting Apple support, while registering, from the failure datebase criteria did not have this problem.
  • Call support setup, agent could not solve, Genius Bar appointment made.
  • Genius Bar Technician verify cosmetic damages, no issue
  • Powering up with charging station, logo looping continues. Do a link up with Itunes, no communication established. Perform a "current sequential diagnosis" to see level of information can be retrieved end results, Model information and statement of "device cannot be power up"
  • Clearly PCB failure, a dead hp.

Genius Bar offers as usual trms like 60% offset if purchase same model back, and for data well estimate I need to pay $300 to get back my data.

So a more then $1800 product with less then 20 mths of usage, and yet I need to pay another $800 to get another iphone X who Gods know how long it will work, and $300 to get back my data?

When this product was launched, I had no trouble but to purchase it as Apple products have the reliability that last! Not the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. So what had happened to Apple giant? Selling a high end product who can't even provide stability and assurance to the end user. My apple Iphone 5S(6yrs) and iphone 6s plus (4 years) are still working fine. I felt deceived. Such high cost but only 1 year coverage and asking people to buy the so call apple care+? It should be part of the service and not consumer absorb your frail Apple design and reliability issues. Until the fateful day, I am still looking forward this end Sep 2019 on new launched. But now I know Apple have really fallen from the grace and race.

What can I do now? Please help to advice.

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 8:54 PM

You aren't paying Apple $300 to get your data back, they don't do that kind of thing. Doing regular backups would have saved you that money so that is all on you so don't include that in your figures.

The iPhone has a one-year warranty, you are outside of that warranty. You can either do the out-of-warranty replacement, seek out a 3rd party repair site that does board level soldering that can try to fix your iPhone (after this Apple will no longer touch it), go back to one of your older phones, or sell them all and buy something else.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2019 8:54 PM in response to Kright

You aren't paying Apple $300 to get your data back, they don't do that kind of thing. Doing regular backups would have saved you that money so that is all on you so don't include that in your figures.

The iPhone has a one-year warranty, you are outside of that warranty. You can either do the out-of-warranty replacement, seek out a 3rd party repair site that does board level soldering that can try to fix your iPhone (after this Apple will no longer touch it), go back to one of your older phones, or sell them all and buy something else.

Aug 4, 2019 9:14 PM in response to Kright

You've got a small sample size there. I haven't had a single iOS device fail without some sort of physical damage, but then again it's only about 6 devices. You were unlucky and your assessment that it's a manufacturing problem can't be backed up. They have a one year warranty, a chance to extend that with AppleCare+, and ample opportunities to back up your data to a computer or iCloud. I get that you're disappointed, but there really is no conspiracy to deceive the customer.

Aug 5, 2019 12:06 AM in response to y_p_w

Well I can't rreally agree with you. The only reason people are buying Iphone is not because of the new and latest features breakthrough but the reliability of the hp brings. Most of the time Samsung or Huawei already lead in terms of new products technology. If its own handling result damage in hp, I will take it. But in this case, it's the manufacturer issues why should I take it as my loss?

Aug 5, 2019 12:09 AM in response to deggie

Yeah but still ****** me off. The product can't even last 2 years? All this apple logo hang or other issues that had been popping out like black screen shows that apple product reliability is no longer a factor when they launched. I won't spend this **** money anymore just to gamble luck. They must change their policy to cover minimum 2 years or anything that is design defect, a 1-1 change.

Aug 5, 2019 7:42 AM in response to Kright

So how big of a sample size did you use to determine why people make the choices they do in purchasing smartphones? What was the standard deviation in your study?

What is your evidence that what you are experiencing is a design defect? What has happened exactly and again what is your sample size?

If you want a smartphone with a 2-year warranty you should look for one and buy it. And be sure to go to the forums for other manufacturers and check the problems people are having with their devices before making your decision.

Aug 5, 2019 11:06 AM in response to Kright

Kright wrote:
Well I can't rreally agree with you. The only reason people are buying Iphone is not because of the new and latest features breakthrough but the reliability of the hp brings. Most of the time Samsung or Huawei already lead in terms of new products technology. If its own handling result damage in hp, I will take it. But in this case, it's the manufacturer issues why should I take it as my loss?

I've worked in the electronics industry for quite some time, and the description of failure rates is known as a "bathtub curve". Inevitably there will be a lot of early failures from manufacturing defects and a lot of late failures from normal, expected wear. There are ways to remove the early failures (look up "burn in testing") but there will inevitably be failures during this middle time period. I haven't heard of Apple products being particularly unreliable, save known defects who which Apple acknowledged, like with the Multi-Touch repair campaign with the iPhone 6 Plus.

Manufacturers have limited warranties to address this. But they're time limited for a reason. Unfortunate that it happened to you, but I really haven't heard of any particular reliability issues with iPhones other than known design/manufacturing/parts defects.

Aug 6, 2019 5:49 AM in response to deggie

Well if I would have the info, I will definitely won't purchase it but I bought it when it first launch which without the home button should be more reliable as per the reports. Lets not use those engineering terms. I am an auditor, Green Belt lean champion, more then 10 years medical certify and I am currently working in a medical industry. I know well all this bathtub curve, MTFS. Using a consumer point, a costly product which failed less then 2 years and nothing can be done. Do they offer to further diagnostics? Do they know why this happen? How many percent fall out? How many consumer affected? Any Non conformance report, PFMEA, CAPA done? I may be the unlucky one. But someone maybe next. So I should move on and let it go? If this is your car, 2 years and its dead, why am I looking at the warranty? This is a defect, something must be done. Thats why car manufacturers like Mercedes, Toyota, they do compensate by mass recall. So how this is going to change? I want to raise awareness! And of course after thinking a few rounds, I want to know anyone encounter this.

Aug 6, 2019 6:02 AM in response to y_p_w

Agreed with you. But end of the day, one sad customer can do alot of damage, eg iphone 6S plus, the battery issues is also few years later, Apple company had acknowledged. Keeping quiet is not my style. Buying a product is not only for the sake of owning a brand only. The consideration of features, "consistency and reliability" is equally important. Thats why no matter how early Samsung launch products, there's always market for Apple products. I am extreme disappointed on Iphone X. This is not gambling or playing Russian roulette. For $1800+ Singapore dollars this price is almost many medium income half month salary. Why going for this brand specifically paying this amount I shall say no more. Take care everyone. Take note if you see consistently apple logo looping. This maybe the first sign of what I encounter.

Iphone X due to manufacturing reasons, dead upon using 20 months, how should I as a consumer move on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.