Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore new Mac mini from iPhone backup

How to restore new Mac mini from iPhone backup?

For example if I will buy new iPhone I will get an option - restore from backup.

Why on Mac mini I didn't get this option? It only ask about Apple ID and password and after I got synchronization with my iCloud, that it!!!

As I understand correct I have to install all Apps and sign in to them like a first time?

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 2:30 PM

8 replies

Aug 6, 2019 2:58 PM in response to MikitaTsv

You cannot restore a Mac from an iPhone backup. It doesn't make sense. iPhone apps don't work on a Mac, and any data you need on your new Mac would be synced through iCloud or other online service.

You should be making backups from an old Mac, and use them to restore the new Mac. If using time Machine some apps that allow it can be restored.

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

There's also the migration assistant to move data and apps from one Mac to another.

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

The other option, is to create a clone of the old Mac and use that to restore the new Mac. but yes in general, computer Apps need to be re-installed from source, and many times you need to supply the registration key you got when they where purchased.

Aug 6, 2019 3:06 PM in response to MikitaTsv

No. As we mentioned, Migration Assistant, or a Time Machine Backup will let you restore most data and Apps that allow direct migration.

For others, for example Microsoft Office, that require a product key to install, they will need to be re-installed.

I would start with a backup or Migration assistant, and from there see what still needs to be re-installed.

How to restore new Mac mini from iPhone backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.