Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If Zoom is crashing your Mac

Hi everyone,

I recently updated my 2019 Macbook Pro to 10.14.6 and since then every time I use my video camera (FaceTime, MS Teams, Zoom, etct) the OS crashes or just the machine hangs.

I even re-installed macOS twice and the issue now continues! My first macOS reinstall I used Time Machine to recover apps and my files - that didn't work. The second macOS reinstall I didn't use Time Machine, my laptop crashed within an hour of using FaceTime or any app that uses the video camera.

I even reset SMC and this didn't help either.

I'm considering bringing my laptop to the Apple Store and have them replace it - the laptop is not even two months old.

Any suggestions?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 11:39 AM

Well, I took my laptop to my closest Apple Store and let me tell you that I'm somewhat disappointed.

First, they were quick to blame a 'third party' application when there were no applications loaded on my laptop as I left it as a 'clean' install with no apps other than whatever is bundled from Apple. On their technical forums (as they refuse to look at these or read these notes as I politely asked them to) there's no mention of issues reported other than Skype and the camera after update 10.14.6 - so they kept insisting that the issue was Skype! I told them there is no Skype app installed!

Second, this is a month old laptop with Apple Care and after two complete MacOS re-install they're not allowed to replace the laptop as it may be a software issue. Finally they stopped chanting 'third party' application issue. The store manager was pleasant to speak to but when I was dealing with the floor technician I believe he took offense on how knowledgeable I was and I wasn't buying his bs comments and explanations. I also challenged him on several of his comments and he seemed to get annoyed at that.

Finally the laptop crashed after 15 minutes of FaceTime use!

They're keeping the laptop for repairs and will keep it for at least a week.

I guess I have to follow the same mantra I used to follow with Windows updates - wait at least two months before upgrading.

242 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2019 11:39 AM in response to edgonz305

Well, I took my laptop to my closest Apple Store and let me tell you that I'm somewhat disappointed.

First, they were quick to blame a 'third party' application when there were no applications loaded on my laptop as I left it as a 'clean' install with no apps other than whatever is bundled from Apple. On their technical forums (as they refuse to look at these or read these notes as I politely asked them to) there's no mention of issues reported other than Skype and the camera after update 10.14.6 - so they kept insisting that the issue was Skype! I told them there is no Skype app installed!

Second, this is a month old laptop with Apple Care and after two complete MacOS re-install they're not allowed to replace the laptop as it may be a software issue. Finally they stopped chanting 'third party' application issue. The store manager was pleasant to speak to but when I was dealing with the floor technician I believe he took offense on how knowledgeable I was and I wasn't buying his bs comments and explanations. I also challenged him on several of his comments and he seemed to get annoyed at that.

Finally the laptop crashed after 15 minutes of FaceTime use!

They're keeping the laptop for repairs and will keep it for at least a week.

I guess I have to follow the same mantra I used to follow with Windows updates - wait at least two months before upgrading.

Aug 27, 2019 10:28 AM in response to chelseahar

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update   –– Restart Required

This update contains bug fixes that improve the stability, performance, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

This update:

• Resolves an issue that may cause certain Mac notebooks to shut down during sleep
  • Fixes an issue that may degrade performance when working with very large files
  • Addresses an issue that may prevent Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, and GarageBand from updating

For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT209149

For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Aug 11, 2019 10:43 AM in response to edgonz305

Same here. I've experienced the problem with FaceTime calls since the Mojave 10.14.6 update. The system freezes at random, e.g. it may not happen during a short (2 minute) FaceTime call. Shortly after the system freezes, the fans start spinning fast and the computer restarts.

I doubt this is a hardware issue since the system worked flawlessly prior to the update. Also, Apple Diagnostics did not detect any issues. The camera itself seems to be working well, i.e. the FaceTime video quality is great.

Aug 12, 2019 3:46 AM in response to edgonz305

I am having a same issue on MacBook Pro 2019 after the update to macOS Mojave version 10.14.6 (18G87). Before this update video calls worked perfectly (FaceTime, Hangouts, Zoom, Slack Video Calls)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

As soon as camera activates screen freezes and touchpad and keyboard become unresponsive. After a couple of seconds black screen appears and machine restarts itself.

Please help!

Many thanks,

Filip

Aug 13, 2019 4:03 PM in response to edgonz305

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2018 Macbook Pro 15 after upgrading to Mojave 10.14.6 (crashing computer on anything that uses the built-in camera, such as Facetime, Zoom, etc). The only workaround I have been able to find so far is connecting an external webcam (Logitech C920) before making any video calls. I was on a Facetime call today for over 2 hours and didn't have any issues so it seems to have alleviated the problem for now. Obviously not a long term fix, but at least my computer is usable again for the time being. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2019 6:18 PM in response to Hayley1greatlife

Hayley1greatlife wrote:

No as I need someone to help me. I used Skype instead with an client and it also crashed. I Would of I never brought Mac book pro knowing I would have issues. I need to find someone technical to assist me as I don’t know how

Please start a new post of your own, and in that post include several of your panic reports. More than 1 helps show if there is a pattern

Look for the Kernel Panic reports at:

Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder -> /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

<http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2546>

<http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553>

The panic report should have ".panic" in the file name.

You can use the "Additional Text" box when you Reply

When you start your own new post, all the attention go to help you. When you post in someone else's thread, the attention can be divided and there can be confusion about which post a reply is speaking to.

Aug 10, 2019 8:18 AM in response to edgonz305

Hi edgonz305,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help with your MacBook Pro. It sounds like the video camera causes your Mac to either crash or hang.

Reinstalling was a good process. It sounds like you may have even erased the hard drive and reinstalled macOS. Since the issue is continuing, that can indicate a hardware issue. You can even test the camera in a new user account and to verify that further: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

If the issue continues, please contact support.

Have a fantastic day!

Aug 11, 2019 12:11 PM in response to edgonz305

edgonz305 Said:

"I'm considering bringing my laptop to the Apple Store and have them replace it - the laptop is not even two months old. Any suggestions?"

-----

Faulty Devices

Seems you have a faulty device. If it is more than 14 days old, it is non-returnable. But, you do have a one-year out-of-the box warranty. And if this is a faulty device, then Apple will fix this in whatever way possible, perhaps leading unto a full replacement. So, contact Apple and setup a Genius Bar Appointment at your local Apple Store.

Contacting Apple:

Contact Us - Choose Locations

USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE

Sep 2, 2019 7:19 AM in response to ekorko

There is another thread were people reported the same issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250524925

I've exactly the same kernel panic mentioned in that thread. Many people is experiencing the same issue: after a Mojave update Zoom and other video call system crashes (note system crash != app crash, a system crash is caused by a kernel issue and it could be because of a kext).

If the stack trace in the kernel panic log is the same, the chances are that the problem cause is the same.

I was able to reproduce the problem consistently (in my case I don't use FaceTime, but Zoom and Hangouts): create a Hangouts or Zoom video call, keep your camera one. Keep connected to the call for a time (it could be 10min or more). The system crashes.

Think that probably causes are the same, but I agree with you that these discussion threads probably doesn't reach the right people.

Sep 20, 2019 8:18 AM in response to DittoDaveDitto

FYI, you can install Catalina beta on an external drive --- you don't even have to boot the the new install. As part of the catalina beta install, it installs a updated firmware (T2 / iBridge). So just installing it on an external drive and then booting back to your internal drive fixes the issue.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/macos-external-drive-3659666/

External drive must be formatted with "APFS formatted drive"

https://www.macworld.com/article/3405588/how-to-install-the-macos-catalina-beta-in-its-own-apfs-container.html

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Aug 15, 2019 5:52 PM in response to edgonz305

Same boat. 15" late 2018 MBP, 2.6GHz, 16GB, dual radeon/intel graphics. Everything was fine with 10.14.5, upgraded to 10.14.6 and I'm getting the "unknown" panic. Zoom and Slack. Machine is now unusable for business.

Troubleshooting, to no avail has included:

• Reset of SMC and PRAM
  • Full HD format and reinstall of 10.14.4, no upgrades
  • Full HD format and reinstall of 10.14.4, update to latest 10.14.6
  • Full HD format and reinstall of 10.14.6
  • Run of video with no software installed except zoom or slack client
  • Unchecking graphics switching

Kind of ridiculous...let's see a fix, apple.

Aug 22, 2019 8:23 AM in response to edgonz305

Update: It seems that enabling the camera (photobooth, facetime without a call active) is not problematic. It's purely when streaming video from any source (Zoom, Skype, Facetime, etc).

Other things to consider that maybe we can corroborate on this thread:

Active on my machine (relative to colleagues who have the same machine with different software):

• Adobe CC
  • Bluetooth connection to apple keyboard and mouse
  • Google Chrome almost always open on the machine

Aug 28, 2019 9:28 AM in response to cesarmascarenhas

Which is exactly why I did the following tests:

1. Let the camera roll (via FaceTime, without actually calling anybody) a few times for almost 40 to 50 minutes at a time. No problem.
  2. Set up long-duration FaceTime calls with my iPad (apparently you can call your own devices; very handy for this kind of troubleshooting). No problem there either.

As users we don't have a mechanistic explanation for the problem. We can only use empiricism. Sure, there's a chance that if my tests and actual calls had lasted one more second, I could have observed the problem again.

Also, let's not overlook the fact that while the symptoms may be more or less the same among our computers, the causes may be different. Only experts with access to the crash logs could possibly determine the actual cause(s). This means that everyone whose machine faces the problem has to contact Support to provide them with the kernel panic logs. I don't think Apple engineers are following the discussion we're having here.

If Zoom is crashing your Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.