Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using the Slingbox 32 Bit App after the next update on MacBook Air Mojave OS after it is no longer allowed:

How do I use my Slingbox App (32 bit) on my MacBook Air Mojave OS after the next update in September?

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 5:32 AM

Agreed! And these is ZERO support from them. I know the app won't work but there is not reason the web can't. Very bummed. Probably 1 of 100 folks that actually use this, and now I am left holding the bag. The other solutions don't work for me.

24 replies

Oct 9, 2019 10:48 AM in response to c__j__d

So far, I've found 3 ways to use my Slingbox with Catalina. All involve having additional equipment/software.

• If you have an Apple TV or other "smart" box attached to your TV or smart TV, and an iPhone or iPad, you can use Airplay to use your Slingbox on your TV through the app on your portable device. The mobile Sling app supports Airplay.

• If you have Windows and can boot into it using either emulation software like Parallels or Boot Camp, you can still use the Windows version of Slingplayer For Web.

Oct 14, 2019 9:17 AM in response to marby

Yes, your Slingbox will work . . . but differently. Now you will have to use one of the workarounds I previously posted:

• Use Airplay: You will need a streaming box (Apple TV or one of the others like Amazon Fire or Chrome is they have Airplay apps) and an Apple mobile device on which you can use the Sling app for iOS. Use the mobile app and watch on your TV.

• Use Windows: Using either Windows either booting into it with Boot Camp or emulation software like Parallels, watch the Windows version of SlingForWeb or the Slingbox Desktop app

• Keep a clone of your final state of Mojave on either a hard drive partition or a fast external drive (preferably a USB 3.1/Thunderbolt-capable external SSD. When you want to watch your Slingbox, boot up using the Mojave clone. While in Mojave, either on an internal drive partition or an external drive, you will be able to download and update your Mojave system with any future updates of whatever software you have on it, including Mojave, in order to keep it current. Keeping such a clone whenever Apple comes out with an OS upgrade isn't a bad idea anyway so that you will have a way to go back if you don't like the new OS for ANY reason.

Aug 11, 2019 3:22 AM in response to neal114

You can continue using your 32bit apps if you stay on Mojave or any older OS, it is only in the new OS Catalina which will be out soon that 32bit apps will no longer work. You are under no obligation to upgrade if you do not want to. If you have 32bit apps that you know won't be updated to 64bit but need to keep on using them and you also feel you would like Catalina you can partition your HD or SSD in two and have Mojave on one and install Catalina on the other. You can then use System Preferences> Startup Disk to boot between the two.

Sep 11, 2019 12:27 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Alternatively, since many of us have SSD internal drives with limited space these days (250 GB in my case), do as I have done and buy an external SSD of the same size (make sure to get one with relatively fast transfer speeds--USB 3.1/C) and clone your internal drive to it in its final state, just before you upgrade to Catalina. That way, you'll not only have a bootable working version of Mojave and Slingbox for Mac but you'll have a way to go back if you don't like Catalina or for any other reason.

Oct 8, 2019 6:13 AM in response to neal114

I believe "Watch On Slingbox.com" runs in 64-bit mode. "Watch on Slingbox.com is a web-based Slingbox viewer that you access by clicking Watch at the top of each page of www.slingbox.com. : http://support.slingbox.com/KB/KB-2000074

"With Watch on Slingbox.com on the Mac, Safari and Firefox are now supported in 64-bit mode": http://support.slingbox.com/KB/KB-1000319

I have not yet tried this so I hope somebodu who has will confirm that this is the way to use a Slingbox with Catalina.

Oct 8, 2019 6:42 AM in response to ChileEater

So I just went throught the procedure outlined while still in Mojave. It seems as if with the latest Safari updates, its no longer necessary to uncheck "run in 32-bit mode" because that is no longer an option. I say "seems" because there is no longer a "run in 32-bit mode" box to uncheck. Just opening "watch" at the Slingbox.com web site seemed to work fine in Mojave. I know of no way to make sure it still will in Catalina without upgrading.

I should say that I have bought a small external solid state drive on which I have cloned my Mojave computer so that I will be able to boot back into Mojave after upgrading . . . just in case. Seems like it's too hard to be sure all your most important aps (and web sites) will still work. I know some of my older Turbotax applications won't--needed to access those years returns--for example.

Finally, it seems like another "workaround" would be to use your Slingbox in Windows if, like me, you have Parallels and can run Windows or can boot into it using Boot Camp.

Oct 8, 2019 11:39 AM in response to neal114

I believe this would be another workaround I hadn't thought of if you have another Apple device like an iPhone or iPad:

"Does Slingbox work with Apple AirPlay?

Yes, the latest versions of SlingPlayer for iPhone and SlingPlayer for iPad make it easy to use AirPlay to extend your complete living room HDTV experience to another TV in your home ... or anywhere else for that matter. Simply use the AirPlay feature in SlingPlayer for iPhone and SlingPlayer for iPad, and watch live TV on the big screen. For details on using SlingPlayer with AirPlay go to http://support.slingbox.com/KB/KB-1000377." See http://support.slingbox.com/KB/KB-2000571

Oct 9, 2019 5:25 AM in response to neal114

I've upgraded to Catalina, and it appears that SlingPlayer for Web will not open through the Safari browser after the upgrade. Is anyone else having this issue? Anyone have a work around?

The SlingBox website claims that SlingPlayer for Web will work within the 64-bit Chrome browser on Mac, but I'm skeptical, given that the SlingPlayer for Web application itself seems to operate in 32-bit mode and therefore will not open in Catalina.

Oct 19, 2019 11:04 PM in response to ChileEater

There is a fourth way which I used in Catalina. I used my Bluestacks Android emulator just to see if it would work with Slingplayer mobile. I downloaded the Slingplayer mobile app-I used the tablet version, from GooglePlay and installed it in Bluestacks. It worked just fine as it would on any Android device. I'm not saying anyone should go through this hassle but if you're desperate enough and have no other way, this will work. I normally use my Fire TV or smartphone if I need to use Slingplayer but I seldom ever use it any more. I have an older SB_500 Slingplayer device which is still hooked up to my media center but mostly gathers dust. My Spectrum TV app is what I usually use and I also have a SiliconDust HomeRun Extend to watch TV on the go. Heck, even using the Pluto TV app is good enough for me.

I still expect the Slingplayer app to be updated to 64-bit because it shouldn't be that difficult to do and the company would probably face some lawsuits for leaving Mac users hanging in the breeze after they purchased Slingplayer hardware. I don't know why it would take so long for getting an updated Slingplayer app when Apple has had Catalina betas for a quite some time.

Oct 24, 2019 1:20 AM in response to neal114

I upgraded to Catalina and it does NOT appear to work with Slingbox M5. I also tried going via Chrome instead of safari- but not working there either. https://www.reddit.com/r/slingbox/comments/depsz7/slingplayer_catalina/

I wish I had known about this before I upgraded to Catalina. I wish sling box would but some resources towards upgrading but sounds like they aren't.

Oct 24, 2019 6:22 PM in response to neal114

It won't work in Safari or Opera. I tried both of them and they don't see the web app. What a lazy company. They can't even update a simple app when knowing well in advance Catalina was going to only support 64-bit apps. It doesn't hurt me any because I have Fire TVs and Android TV boxes that run Slingplayer. I also have VMWare Fusion with Windows 10 Pro to run Slingplayer. Only Catalina users are getting screwed.

Using the Slingbox 32 Bit App after the next update on MacBook Air Mojave OS after it is no longer allowed:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.