Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie....Itunes library doesn't show up

how can I get my iTunes library to show up in iMovie? I am trying to add clips of music to my movie. I've downloaded the music to my Mac. Nothing changes. I get a notice that the songs are protected and private. WTH?

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 1:42 PM

The "protected and unavailable" message means that the songs are copyright (DRM) protected and cannot be used in iMovie. Songs that were purchased before 2009 carried DRM protection. iTunes later dropped DRM protection for songs purchased after 2009. Also, songs in Apple Music are DRM protected. I'm not sure, but I think that if you download music from Apple Music into iTunes that might remove the DRM protection.

If you are not using Apple music, what you can do is subscribe to the iTunes Match program, for about $24.99, and that will allow you to download from the cloud DRM free copies of your songs, provided that iTunes still sells the song. For more info open the iTunes site, click on "Store" at the top of the screen, and scroll all the way down to the bottom of the window. You will see "iTunes Match" in the small print items at the bottom. Click on that and you will see details about the program.

Another option would be to repurchase the song from iTunes. That might make sense if you intend to use only a few songs in an iMovie project.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2019 1:42 PM in response to MariaDidThat

The "protected and unavailable" message means that the songs are copyright (DRM) protected and cannot be used in iMovie. Songs that were purchased before 2009 carried DRM protection. iTunes later dropped DRM protection for songs purchased after 2009. Also, songs in Apple Music are DRM protected. I'm not sure, but I think that if you download music from Apple Music into iTunes that might remove the DRM protection.

If you are not using Apple music, what you can do is subscribe to the iTunes Match program, for about $24.99, and that will allow you to download from the cloud DRM free copies of your songs, provided that iTunes still sells the song. For more info open the iTunes site, click on "Store" at the top of the screen, and scroll all the way down to the bottom of the window. You will see "iTunes Match" in the small print items at the bottom. Click on that and you will see details about the program.

Another option would be to repurchase the song from iTunes. That might make sense if you intend to use only a few songs in an iMovie project.

-- Rich

iMovie....Itunes library doesn't show up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.