Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding package to macOS Mojave USB Installer

Our organization uses clean installs of the latest MacOS every July.

Our previous solution was to remotely target a NetInstall startup disk which included a package. The package contained two apps a LaunchDaemon, and LaunchAgent. It creates the Administrator user, queries our directory for the hostname, prompts for hostname if device is not in the directory, then binds and enrolls the device on our servers, and sets some optimal system preferences.

With the deprecation of NetBoot, NetInstall, and NetRestore; we are resorting to physically accessing every device with a USB Installer. The Install macOS Mojave.app allows --install-package via the `startosinstall` comnand, but does not have a similar option for the `createinstallmedia` option.

Any suggestion that does not involve tools which are not native to macOS or macOS server?

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 1:56 PM

I figured out the answer to my question. I can run the installer from recovery using the 'startosinstall' option and specify the --volume and --installpackage:

/Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Mojave/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Content/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --installpackage /Volumes/Untitled/myPkg.pkg --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2019 1:56 PM in response to msg.jwcurtis

I figured out the answer to my question. I can run the installer from recovery using the 'startosinstall' option and specify the --volume and --installpackage:

/Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Mojave/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Content/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --installpackage /Volumes/Untitled/myPkg.pkg --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

Adding package to macOS Mojave USB Installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.