Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup issues.

My Mac Pro inoperable -- I have been trying to fix the problem by using command R and variations thereof to no avail finally opened firmware and submitted a new password but on restart I cannot insert the password because my mouse has frozen!

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 12:38 PM

The Mac Pro silver tower does not have Internet Recovery in its ROM, and unless it has the original factory drive that has NEVER been erased, it has lost the diagnostics directory as well.

So the use of Recovery depends on having a viable 'Recovery HD' partition on a working drive.

The solid Apple is only seen after it is loaded from a drive after a cold start, or upon Re-Start from the same drive. So seeing the solid Apple says the drive is working well enough to get the first 'blob' of software off it and into memory.

The simplest thing your Mac can do is respond to holding Option at startup. This invokes Startup Manager (whose code is all in ROM) which over the span of about five minutes will attempt to discover, by brute force, every potentially-bootable Volume and give you a chance to select one and boot from it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2019 12:38 PM in response to nola3

The Mac Pro silver tower does not have Internet Recovery in its ROM, and unless it has the original factory drive that has NEVER been erased, it has lost the diagnostics directory as well.

So the use of Recovery depends on having a viable 'Recovery HD' partition on a working drive.

The solid Apple is only seen after it is loaded from a drive after a cold start, or upon Re-Start from the same drive. So seeing the solid Apple says the drive is working well enough to get the first 'blob' of software off it and into memory.

The simplest thing your Mac can do is respond to holding Option at startup. This invokes Startup Manager (whose code is all in ROM) which over the span of about five minutes will attempt to discover, by brute force, every potentially-bootable Volume and give you a chance to select one and boot from it.

Startup issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.