Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Open Safari" button does nothing when trying to authenticate Google account

First, let me save you all time by saying up front, this is NOT the same "loop" problem many experienced in 10.14.4. I experienced that as well, but it was resolved.

Today the domain for our company's G suite account was updated so I decided to delete the old account and re-authenticate the new email from scratch (wasn't confident it would "just work")... when I get prompted with the "Google requires you authenticate with Safari" message and click "Open Safari", the button turns grey and does actually launch the Safari app, but nothing happens. If Safari is already open the button just turns grey.

Worse, I tried some of the proposed solutions for the old fix (deleting OAUTH tokens from google in my keychain) and now ALL of my google accounts (I have several G Suite accounts) require auth and NONE of them can successfully get to the auth screen in Safari.

Help please?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 4:34 PM

Hey @lars06! Sorry to hear that... this was resolved for me by reinstalling macOS... I made sure to have a backup just in case, but thankfully it worked kind of like a software update and didn’t require much extra effort.

Followed the instructions here (install latest version from the internet). Hope it helps!

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reinstall-macos-mchlp1599/mac

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2019 4:34 PM in response to lars06

Hey @lars06! Sorry to hear that... this was resolved for me by reinstalling macOS... I made sure to have a backup just in case, but thankfully it worked kind of like a software update and didn’t require much extra effort.

Followed the instructions here (install latest version from the internet). Hope it helps!

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reinstall-macos-mchlp1599/mac

Sep 23, 2019 4:14 PM in response to JG-RI

I don’t want to jinx it, and I definitely suggest backing up your machine just in case, but the system re-install was about as painless as a regular software update (maybe took a little longer) and did the trick. Don’t recall noticing much of a difference afterwards except the issue was resolved. Given that it was completely preventing me from accessing emails/calendars/etc. it was worth the effort.

Good luck!

"Open Safari" button does nothing when trying to authenticate Google account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.