Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased my MacBook Air 11inch in 2015 but the motherboard has recently failed

I purchased my MacBook Air 11inch in 2015 but the motherboard has recently failed and I have been quoted £469 to replace this faulty part. I am very disappointed that this happened after only 4 years of relatively light usage and no accidental damage. I had been under the impression that it was worth paying the much higher price for a Mac as they appeared to be more robust than laptops but all my previous laptops have lasted more than 4 years.

MacBook Air 11 inch are no longer produced. I have been told there was no known fault/recall on this model. Does anyone have a MacBook Air still working after 4 years? Am I just unlucky?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 2:40 AM

Sometimes a defective I/O power board could be misdiagnosed as a failed logic board.

Unlike an early MacBook 2006-2010 which has a DC-in Board to supply power from the

MagSafe power adapter, the MacBook/Air has a different circuit that does several things

in addition to providing power from MagSafe.

You should inquire if their had been sufficient reason to believe their technicians had

diagnosed the cause of failure, because the logic board is most costly and prohibitive

an expense. While the I/O board is less costly; and may be the actual cause of failure.

For an idea of that service (you could ask authorized Apple tech) to test for, see:

MacBook Air 11" Early 2015 I/O Board Replacement

While persons with technical skill and experience may be able to satisfactorily

DIY repairs, newer model portable Macs can be more difficult to fix yourself.

There are a few other parts that may additionally require replacement in 4+ y/o

MacBook/Air, such as battery and magsafe adapter; an I/O Board may be the key.

Good luck & happy computing!🌞

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2019 2:40 AM in response to Hatton12

Sometimes a defective I/O power board could be misdiagnosed as a failed logic board.

Unlike an early MacBook 2006-2010 which has a DC-in Board to supply power from the

MagSafe power adapter, the MacBook/Air has a different circuit that does several things

in addition to providing power from MagSafe.

You should inquire if their had been sufficient reason to believe their technicians had

diagnosed the cause of failure, because the logic board is most costly and prohibitive

an expense. While the I/O board is less costly; and may be the actual cause of failure.

For an idea of that service (you could ask authorized Apple tech) to test for, see:

MacBook Air 11" Early 2015 I/O Board Replacement

While persons with technical skill and experience may be able to satisfactorily

DIY repairs, newer model portable Macs can be more difficult to fix yourself.

There are a few other parts that may additionally require replacement in 4+ y/o

MacBook/Air, such as battery and magsafe adapter; an I/O Board may be the key.

Good luck & happy computing!🌞

I purchased my MacBook Air 11inch in 2015 but the motherboard has recently failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.