Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tried to readd my email to Mac but it says it is unable to verify account and password

I changed my hotmail password recently and this didn't automatically change on my Mac. So I deleted the account by going into System preferences, and tried to add it again with the correct password. However every time I do this the page says unable to verify account and password. I have tried logging out of iCloud and this has not helped.

Any ideas?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 9:44 AM

If you haven't already, try accessing your Hotmail email account using a web browser with what you know is a good username and password to verify that, indeed, they are.

After doing so, you may need to create an app-specific password in your Microsoft account to use with the Apple Mail app on your MacBook Air ... especially if you enabled two factor authentication on your Microsoft account.

Ref:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2019 9:44 AM in response to SamAndrewss

If you haven't already, try accessing your Hotmail email account using a web browser with what you know is a good username and password to verify that, indeed, they are.

After doing so, you may need to create an app-specific password in your Microsoft account to use with the Apple Mail app on your MacBook Air ... especially if you enabled two factor authentication on your Microsoft account.

Ref:

I tried to readd my email to Mac but it says it is unable to verify account and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.