Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can’t hear a phone call through headset

I frequently use a plug in headset with my iPhone XS to take phone calls. Yesterday this feature suddenly stopped working. I can hear myself texting, YouTube videos, and other apps through my headphones, and others can hear my talking, but I cannot hear them. I used another headset with the same results. Phone has been reset, it has the most recent update, volume has been checked and Bluetooth has been turned off. Is anyone else experiencing this issue or found a resolution?

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 10:11 PM

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 23, 2019 8:03 AM in response to stewartfromhoboken In response to stewartfromhoboken

Just discovered this problem on my iPhone8 this morning. Went to make a phone call with my earbuds plugged into the phone, and I could not hear any of the phone rings, answering, etc. through my headphones, but could hear it from the handset. I then played some music from my itunes on my phone and could hear them fine on the headphones.

Houston, we have a problem!

Oct 23, 2019 8:03 AM

Aug 21, 2019 6:15 PM in response to Joseph_S. In response to Joseph_S.

Hi there, no, this does not happen when the headphones aren’t plugged in. I can hear the caller fine through the phone itself, but not the headphones. We tried multiple different headphones with the same result. We even tried same several sets of headphones on my husbands iPhone, none of them will work on his either to hear the caller, but can hear all other phone noises. At this point we are under the impression it might be related to the most recent phone updates as we later found a brand new pair of plug in iPhone earbuds and those are the only headphones that we can hear the caller through

Aug 21, 2019 6:15 PM

Oct 20, 2019 7:27 PM in response to Alt8178 In response to Alt8178

I have had the same problem, spent at least five hours on the phone with Apple support with different levels of escalation, have changed ear buds and done everything else that was mentioned. My wife, operating w/ iOS 10 does not have this problem I unfortunately have 13.1.3. There’s no question that this is a software issue (as iOS 12 did not have the same issue) that Apple has not yet addressed. Anything you do now is a waste of time until they fix this problem on their end. By the way, Apple support will not admit that this is a software issue.

Oct 20, 2019 7:27 PM

Oct 23, 2019 8:12 AM in response to david.johncox In response to david.johncox

Right. This is a difficult problem and I have an appointment to speak with an engineer on Friday between nine and 10. I’m not quite sure that the Apple engineers understand this but after we get off the phone they will and hopefully will be able to fix it.

Oct 23, 2019 8:12 AM

Jan 7, 2020 10:14 AM in response to Alt8178 In response to Alt8178

I have the same problem i am quite good with tec, have fixed macbooks ,iphones etc before numerous times with various hardware issues . This is definitely software related .

I feel like i may migrate to android reluctantly as i prefer corded headphones especially to make calls on whilst i run my construction based business .

Really disappointing so far, come on Apple you can do better than this .

Jan 7, 2020 10:14 AM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Aug 21, 2019 2:50 PM in response to Alt8178 In response to Alt8178

Hello Alt8178,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you cannot hear your callers when using your headphones. Does this also happen when the headphones are not plugged in? If you have completed all the steps in this article and the issue persists, you may need to contact Apple Support for additional assistance.

If your headphones don't work with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Contact Apple Support

Best Regards.

Aug 21, 2019 2:50 PM

Reply Helpful

Aug 21, 2019 6:15 PM in response to Joseph_S. In response to Joseph_S.

Hi there, no, this does not happen when the headphones aren’t plugged in. I can hear the caller fine through the phone itself, but not the headphones. We tried multiple different headphones with the same result. We even tried same several sets of headphones on my husbands iPhone, none of them will work on his either to hear the caller, but can hear all other phone noises. At this point we are under the impression it might be related to the most recent phone updates as we later found a brand new pair of plug in iPhone earbuds and those are the only headphones that we can hear the caller through

Aug 21, 2019 6:15 PM

Reply Helpful (20)

Sep 17, 2019 1:08 PM in response to Alt8178 In response to Alt8178

I discovered the similar issue today. I have also iPhone Xs and I was using Apple wired EarPods. Call came in and although I could receive it by pressing center button on headset remote, I could not hear a thing and the other party from me neither. Later I started to investigate. Did all settings reset. After phone reboot connected the headset and called myself from other phone. It worked... until second try. Then I did factory reset and restored phone from iTunes backup. Again, first try worked but second one did not. I did find a pattern: after reset the phone-ringing was loud as usual. As I said first try was successful and all remote buttons and phone buttons (speakerphone, contacts etc) did work, it was possible to change the volume. On later, failed attempt the ringing was much quieter. The remote center button worked, the call was silent. Phone UI became very slow, speakerphone button did react literally seconds after being pressed and has no effect at all. It was not possible to change "call" volume, neither from the headset remote or phone itself. If I did disconnect the headset during that failed call, the phone receiver worked and the microphone too. But as I reconnected the headset again, all became muted again.

The phone, its connectors, headphones are clean, free from dirt. I did try two almost unused Apple Earpods. I'm using latest iOS, ver 12.4.1.

I discovered also that all worked ok after restart exactly once. Later calls are muted. I reported the issue to Apple (https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html) as a bug, but we all know that Apple does not reply nor comment. Soon we have iOS 13, maybe the bug is known and already fixed. I thing that the issue started after some update in August. It seems that the phone just almost disconnects the headset and fails to route audio to and from it.

Sep 17, 2019 1:08 PM

Reply Helpful (4)

Oct 20, 2019 7:27 PM in response to Alt8178 In response to Alt8178

I have had the same problem, spent at least five hours on the phone with Apple support with different levels of escalation, have changed ear buds and done everything else that was mentioned. My wife, operating w/ iOS 10 does not have this problem I unfortunately have 13.1.3. There’s no question that this is a software issue (as iOS 12 did not have the same issue) that Apple has not yet addressed. Anything you do now is a waste of time until they fix this problem on their end. By the way, Apple support will not admit that this is a software issue.

Oct 20, 2019 7:27 PM

Reply Helpful (8)

Oct 23, 2019 8:03 AM in response to stewartfromhoboken In response to stewartfromhoboken

Just discovered this problem on my iPhone8 this morning. Went to make a phone call with my earbuds plugged into the phone, and I could not hear any of the phone rings, answering, etc. through my headphones, but could hear it from the handset. I then played some music from my itunes on my phone and could hear them fine on the headphones.

Houston, we have a problem!

Oct 23, 2019 8:03 AM

Reply Helpful (24)

Oct 23, 2019 8:12 AM in response to david.johncox In response to david.johncox

Right. This is a difficult problem and I have an appointment to speak with an engineer on Friday between nine and 10. I’m not quite sure that the Apple engineers understand this but after we get off the phone they will and hopefully will be able to fix it.

Oct 23, 2019 8:12 AM

Reply Helpful (6)

Dec 5, 2019 7:42 AM in response to SameProblemToo In response to SameProblemToo

Same problem. All Apple brand peripherals, dongle and earphones. I hear the touch done when dialing out; however, the caller can only be heard thru the phone speakers.

THE FIX: buy air buds. Most likely an intentional change by Tim Cooke and crew to boost accessories sales. Accessory sales are a big priority at Apple.

Dec 5, 2019 7:42 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Dec 13, 2019 8:57 AM in response to Alt8178 In response to Alt8178

Same situation. Here are the details:

--Listening to calls on the phone itself works fine

--Headphones work fine with music (several different headphones and earbuds, none from Apple--I bet that's the problem)

--tried a bluetooth headphone and that worked

--before the latest OS update (13.2.3), if I had the earplugs/headphones plugged in BEFORE a call (incoming our outgoing), then I could hear the call on the headset. If instead I answered or placed a call and then tried to plug in headphones, nope. It didn't switch the call.

--speakerphone calls work fine

It's annoying and compounded by the fact that Apple reps pretend this is the first time they've ever heard anyone describe such a thing. I used to do tech support and I understand you have a script but it's really a cowardly brand position to pretend you don't have a mess of people with this problem.

I guess for phone calls on my iphone, I can't use my Bose earbuds I love so much. I'm not buying those earpods; they don't fit my ears and they hurt and don't sound great.

Dec 13, 2019 8:57 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Dec 13, 2019 9:02 AM in response to datalist In response to datalist

Five or six weeks ago I was assured by Apple tech-support that their engineers were working on this problem, but now I think they’re full of ****. My suspicion is they want to make the plug-in ear bulbs obsolete and force you to spend over $200 on the air buds.

Dec 13, 2019 9:02 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Jan 7, 2020 10:14 AM in response to Alt8178 In response to Alt8178

I have the same problem i am quite good with tec, have fixed macbooks ,iphones etc before numerous times with various hardware issues . This is definitely software related .

I feel like i may migrate to android reluctantly as i prefer corded headphones especially to make calls on whilst i run my construction based business .

Really disappointing so far, come on Apple you can do better than this .

Jan 7, 2020 10:14 AM

Reply Helpful (6)

Jan 15, 2020 10:48 AM in response to Alt8178 In response to Alt8178

I am having a similar issue and it's driving me mad!!!

I have a brand new Iphone 11. The verizon rep sold me a Scoshe lightning adapter so I can plug in an aux and charge at the same time. Music and all sounds play fine via this aux but when I accept calls no one can hear me. I can hear them through my car speakers, or over plugged-in headphones (with mic) but they cannot hear me. I have to use speaker phone or unplug the adapter which distracts me from driving.

Not being able to accept calls while plugged into my car is a big problem. Please fix this!

Jan 15, 2020 10:48 AM

Reply Helpful (4)

Jan 16, 2020 9:14 AM in response to Alt8178 In response to Alt8178

This literally just started happening to me. I'm on 13.3 on a "new" (refurb) i7 from AT&T, but had it for a month and everything was fine. In fact, yesterday, everything was fine -- today, headset works for everything except apps requiring the mic. Changed the dongle and headset (all Apple equip.) and reseated all parts, rebooting (incl. hard boot). It seems like it recognizes the speakers but not the mic, and so won't use it. I tested it on voice memos: Similar, but different: Will play (output) through the headset, but NOT listen through the headset mic (only hears via the phone body). Phone (as in calls) won't even output through the headset, and defaults completely to the in-board mic/speakers. Pretty clearly a software issue of some kind. I tried pressing all sorts of potentially relevant buttons per all sorts of potentially relevant "fix it" sites -- no joy. Really PITA!

Jan 16, 2020 9:14 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Alt8178

Question: Can’t hear a phone call through headset