Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting my photos back

My friend wanted to use my old iPad mini by restarting it and using it for work, initially transferring the photos from the iPad onto their phone, before restarting it. I airdropped all the photos to them easily, but for some reason all of my photos from MY phone appeared on the iPad. I deleted them all off because I didn’t want them on there. Then restarted the iPad.

I now look at my phone and none of my photos are there any more.

I do have google photos but for some reason it only saved a few images.

I don’t understand what has happened. Does anyone know a way of getting my photos back?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 1:45 PM

By the sounds of it, the Mini you loaned out was set up with your Apple ID, so when you deleted photos from the Mini what you were actually deleting were your photos in iCloud -- common to both your iPhone and Mini.

Look in your iPhone's Photos app for the "Recently Deleted" album.

5 replies

Aug 22, 2019 2:06 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

If I could chime in with a bit of clarification ...

An iOS backup does not contain anything that is stored in iCloud, so don't bother reinstalling a prior backup.

The only way I know of to recover such photos is if you have iCloud software installed on a PC and it was constantly downloading your iCloud photos -- deleting photos in iCloud does not seem to delete them from a PC. A Mac on the other hand is synced to iCloud, so just like an iOS device the Mac will have lost the photos as well.

Getting my photos back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.