Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud driving me crazy

Hi and please help me out.

iPhone Xs 64GB with Windows 10 Prof. Have been using iPhone since iPhone 3.

I have installed iCloud on my PC and on my phone I have ticked iCloud Photos, On; iCloud Photos ticked.

I sometimes shoot video with my phone and use iMovie App on my phone to edit the videos to compile a video of our holiday or so on. After about 2 weeks or so, I want to edit this video I created on iMovie. It then has to wait for my videos to download from iCloud even though I have shot the same videos with my phone and is supposed to be in my library.

Why is this happening? I don't have a problem with photos & video being uploaded to iCloud but when I want to edit a video I want to use the local copy on my phone.

Please advise.

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 11:49 AM

Hi deonholt!

I understand that you are prompted to download your videos from iCloud before they can be edited with iMovie, and I'm happy to help. What you are describing is expected behavior if you have Optimize iPhone Storage turned on in the settings for iCloud Photos as described here:

Manage your photo and video storage

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2019 11:49 AM in response to deonholt

Hi deonholt!

I understand that you are prompted to download your videos from iCloud before they can be edited with iMovie, and I'm happy to help. What you are describing is expected behavior if you have Optimize iPhone Storage turned on in the settings for iCloud Photos as described here:

Manage your photo and video storage

Cheers!

Aug 27, 2019 12:26 PM in response to Jeff_W.

Hi Jeff.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Your explanation makes 100% sense. My phone only has 64GB capacity hence the reason for choosing to optimize storage. So I need to know that with 64GB I cannot have the luxary of both worlds.

If I may, can I please ask another question ...

Are photos that I delete on my phone also deleted on iCloud? I have a NAS on my home network where everything on my PC is backed up every 12 hours, so I do have a local copy should I need it.

Just want to know if it is deleted on iCloud as well.

Thanks again.

iCloud driving me crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.