Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updating Apple Mail

I'm running El Capitan on one of my iMacs, the Apple Mail is only version 9.3. How can I update it as it's not running too well?

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 9:27 AM

You would need to upgrade the operating system to get a newer version of Apple Mail. It's not running too well is not helpful in describing your present problem. How many messages does it show in your Mail inbox? Have you selected your inbox and chosen Mailbox menu : Rebuild?

From menu : About This Mac panel what is the Mac product line (including parentheses) show? How much memory is shown?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2019 9:27 AM in response to cadplan45

You would need to upgrade the operating system to get a newer version of Apple Mail. It's not running too well is not helpful in describing your present problem. How many messages does it show in your Mail inbox? Have you selected your inbox and chosen Mailbox menu : Rebuild?

From menu : About This Mac panel what is the Mac product line (including parentheses) show? How much memory is shown?

Sep 6, 2019 8:55 AM in response to cadplan45

cadplan45 wrote:

...I thought it's best to update it but I'm having trouble finding the Apple download.

Check your key apps, check that your printer and scanner vendors have support for and possibly updated drivers available, get a complete backup or two onto external storage, and then upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave, if your hardware supports it.

Sep 6, 2019 9:22 AM in response to cadplan45

cadplan45 wrote:

I've managed to download and update to Sierra just now. I'm now running Mail v10.0 so happy!

FWIW... Per past Apple patch practices, High Sierra and Mojave will be getting security patches for a while longer, where Sierra probably won’t get security patches past this fall. Any Mac that can run Sierra can run High Sierra. High Sierra fixes various issues with Sierra and earlier, too.

updating Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.