Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung X5 as boot disk? (no GUID selection, no APFS selection)

I have a Mojave MacMini, with Samsung Portable SSD Software for Mac, v1.6.4 (I had to disable SIP to install it) and the latest firmware in the X5. I did not set a password to encrypt the disk.

I can erase the X5 with DiskUtility, but the 'Partition' button is disabled and 'Erase' does not show the combo to select the GUID partition table,, and the resulting disk in not bootable. There is also no choice for APFS.

I read somewhere that Samsung v1.6.4 has some problems on Mojave, and v1.6.2 should be used, but this old version is no longer available for download.

Any suggestions?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 10:14 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 27, 2019 6:18 AM in response to ilg-ul

I am using a Samsung X5 with Mojave installed right now. It was wise not to use the Samsung Portable SSD Software and not setting an encryption password. Setting a password has caused a lot of problems for people.

It is easy to properly format your X5 using Disk Utility. Open Disk Utility. As was already mentioned, select "View", "Show All Devices". Select the "Samsung Portable SSD X5 Media", in the Disk Utility sidebar, not the volume below . Then click on "Erase" in the top tool bar. In the dropdown select Scheme: GUID Partition Map, then Format: APFS. Click on the "Erase" button at the bottom right of the dropdown. Let Disk Utility finish the process. If you wish to make more partitions you will now be able to use the "Partition" button.

Now you are ready to install Mojave on the X5. Open the Mojave installer and select it as the destination.

Samsung X5 as boot disk? (no GUID selection, no APFS selection)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.