Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Find Trash in Apple Mail

Cannot find trash in Apple Mail. Relevant screen shots. If you can help me find it, I would really appreciate that. Thank you.

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 10:58 AM

This problem is solved, but it exposed a surprise.

This was new installation of MacOS (mojave) on a new volume. I don't know where the installation went wrong. SInce reporting this problem, I erased the volume and redid the installation from a bootable Mojave installer (from another volume on an internal drive). Everything in Apple mail worked perfectly from that point forward.

SURPRISE - Previously Downloaded Email Still on Email Server (POP)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luckily, none of the previously downloaded email was lost, because it still was and is still on the POP server. A web search led me to an Apple Mail setting that evidently works even with POP mail. Screenshot below tells the tale. There is a setting for when downloaded mail should be deleted. I thought this would not affect POP mail. Maybe this isn't really pop mail, in spite of the mail servername seeming to indicate it is.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2019 10:58 AM in response to danallenhouston

This problem is solved, but it exposed a surprise.

This was new installation of MacOS (mojave) on a new volume. I don't know where the installation went wrong. SInce reporting this problem, I erased the volume and redid the installation from a bootable Mojave installer (from another volume on an internal drive). Everything in Apple mail worked perfectly from that point forward.

SURPRISE - Previously Downloaded Email Still on Email Server (POP)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luckily, none of the previously downloaded email was lost, because it still was and is still on the POP server. A web search led me to an Apple Mail setting that evidently works even with POP mail. Screenshot below tells the tale. There is a setting for when downloaded mail should be deleted. I thought this would not affect POP mail. Maybe this isn't really pop mail, in spite of the mail servername seeming to indicate it is.

Aug 29, 2019 10:09 AM in response to danallenhouston

Something got rid of it. What that could be is anyone's guess. Needless to say, if you are using, or have used, any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" junk, anything at all in that broad category of useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

Try rebuilding the Inbox according to Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. It couldn't hurt, but I doubt it will help since you can't rebuild something that isn't present.

This is one of those circumstances in which reinstalling macOS might help: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Reinstalling macOS is nondestructive, but back up your Mac beforehand—which you ought to be doing anyway. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

If that doesn't help either, the next step would be to remove that Mail account, and add it again. That procedure is described in greater detail here: Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support. Beware that POP mail messages exist only on your Mac. If you have any email messages that you don't want to lose, you must archive them (print them, save them, etc) prior to removing that POP account.

Cannot Find Trash in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.