Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini (mid 2010)grey startup screen

My Mac has developed a problem where it has the solid grey screen on start up no apple logo or loading bar it doesn’t get that far.

Ive tried the following but the grey screen stays:

reset pvram

boot into into recovery mode (doesn’t boot into it grey screen stays)

boot into safe mode (see above)

select bootable startup (see above)

command+v (can’t remember what boot mode this is - see above)

unplug power for 30secs replug for 5secs power on still the same

anything else I could try? This was what I could find from a google search

thanks

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 7:55 AM

Sounds like maybe the Hard Disk has failed.

If you can not startup in recovery, to repair or reinstall, as per > About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

You can always startup from the original 10.6 Snow Leopard Disc 1 that came with your Mac Mini.

Go to Apple > Utilities > Disk Utility and see if you can Repair your Macintosh HD.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2019 7:55 AM in response to Matty1080

Sounds like maybe the Hard Disk has failed.

If you can not startup in recovery, to repair or reinstall, as per > About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

You can always startup from the original 10.6 Snow Leopard Disc 1 that came with your Mac Mini.

Go to Apple > Utilities > Disk Utility and see if you can Repair your Macintosh HD.

Sep 2, 2019 11:26 AM in response to Matty1080

Matty1080 wrote:

But it doesn’t boot, so I wouldn’t be able to even boot from the disc?

That's not necessarily true. You should still be able to startup from the original install disc or an external disk that has macOS or a macOS installer loaded on it.

If you are using a wireless keyboard to input startup commands?

It may no longer be paired with your Mac and you need to use a wired USB keyboard.

(most any Apple, generic or windows USB keyboard will work)

Then if you are still unable to startup in any of the above mentioned modes, then you will need to make a service appointment with your local Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Mac mini (mid 2010)grey startup screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.