Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone hotspot activated by other devices signed into same AppleID

I just noticed that even when my iPhone's hotspot is inactive it appears as a network option on my MacBook Pro. Is there a way to turn this function off?

A couple of months ago, my iPhone's battery usage showed 30 Gigs of cellular data used via the hotspot and I could not figure it out.

I think I just found my answer: another device registered to same AppleID with an auto-join network setting.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 12:12 PM

The only way to remove that is the not have devices that are signed into the same Apple ID. While that is using something similar to Personal Hotspot, it is really called Instant Hotspot. Any other device logged into the same Apple ID would be able to connect, but would only connect if you manually connected them.

If you have other devices, do you not check to see how they are connected to the internet, such as the MacBook Pro, or anything else? Do you not have wi-fi at home that you would have been connected to?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2019 12:12 PM in response to AK9011

The only way to remove that is the not have devices that are signed into the same Apple ID. While that is using something similar to Personal Hotspot, it is really called Instant Hotspot. Any other device logged into the same Apple ID would be able to connect, but would only connect if you manually connected them.

If you have other devices, do you not check to see how they are connected to the internet, such as the MacBook Pro, or anything else? Do you not have wi-fi at home that you would have been connected to?

iPhone hotspot activated by other devices signed into same AppleID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.