Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portable Charging Laptops with MagSafe 2?

Hi!

I have an early 2015 MacBook air with an incredibly high cycle count (824, yikes) which means I often need it to be connected to a power plug - especially considering the fact that most applications I use drain my battery (I'm an art student) and I refuse to let go of using chrome.

This is all fine until I am out and don't have access to a power point (eg. long commutes, studios etc.) There aren't any portable chargers that support a MagSafe 2 connector however there are a lot of MagSafe 2 to USB-C adaptors on the market and I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase one of those and use it to connect my laptop to a large capacity portable charger? Has anyone tried this? Or is this a very, very bad idea?

Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 11:14 AM

Sorry I misunderstood. The charger pack you linked is only 30W and I believe the MBAir uses at least a 45W charger so I don't know if it will work. I personally would not use a third party charger on a Mac since the quality of many third party chargers is questionable as they don't always include proper power safety protections. The USB-C chargers have a different charging standard and protocol so I'm not sure how well converting it to Magsafe will work. For a little more money than the linked power pack you could have an official Apple battery installed without the need for more external items and without risking an expensive laptop. I don't have any experience with the third party power packs.

Instead of a third party power pack you would be better off replacing the battery yourself, although the quality of third party batteries is not that great even from a reputable vendor such as OWC.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/laptop-batteries/macbook-air

Of course if you get rid of the original Apple battery and later decide to get an official Apple battery replacement you may end up paying a bit more since you don't have the original battery to "trade in" which reduces the cost a bit.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2019 11:14 AM in response to Lena__

Sorry I misunderstood. The charger pack you linked is only 30W and I believe the MBAir uses at least a 45W charger so I don't know if it will work. I personally would not use a third party charger on a Mac since the quality of many third party chargers is questionable as they don't always include proper power safety protections. The USB-C chargers have a different charging standard and protocol so I'm not sure how well converting it to Magsafe will work. For a little more money than the linked power pack you could have an official Apple battery installed without the need for more external items and without risking an expensive laptop. I don't have any experience with the third party power packs.

Instead of a third party power pack you would be better off replacing the battery yourself, although the quality of third party batteries is not that great even from a reputable vendor such as OWC.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/laptop-batteries/macbook-air

Of course if you get rid of the original Apple battery and later decide to get an official Apple battery replacement you may end up paying a bit more since you don't have the original battery to "trade in" which reduces the cost a bit.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Sep 8, 2019 9:29 AM in response to HWTech

Yes I'm aware of this - my charger is fine and my battery needs to be serviced but I'm okay with leaving it for now. My question is more on whether or not a laptop which uses a MagSafe connector to charge can be connected with a /portable/ charger (here's a random example of a portable charger that came up when I searched for one https://www.amazon.com.au/RAVPower-Portable-26800mAh-Recharged-Nintendo/dp/B07JM3MYYY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ascsubtag=trd-1059040275264608768-22&keywords=RAVPower+USB-C+PD+Power+Bank+26800mAh+Portable+Charger&qid=1567959457&s=gateway&sr=8-1). I know no portable chargers can connect with a MagSafe 2 /however/, there are unofficial MagSafe2 to USB-C adaptors available online (here's a random example that came up when I searched it https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113142220994) so I was wondering if I could do connect the adaptor to my MacBook and then connect the USB C part of the adaptor to a portable charger.

Reason I'd like to be able to use a portable charger for my MacBook is because sometimes I am in situations where I don't have access to a power outlet (e.g. on the train) but would like to do work on my laptop that would drain any laptop, regardless of the battery health.

To reiterate, my normal charger is fine and I do not intend on servicing my battery. I am curious as to whether or not I could charge my laptop with an adaptor + and portable charger and if anyone has tried it themselves.

But thanks anyway :)

Portable Charging Laptops with MagSafe 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.