Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Passwords Locked

Can anyone help? I can login on my Mac, I can change passwords via different methods, BUT when I try to open Safari Passwords all I get is "Passwords Are Locked. To unlock passwords, enter the password for the user ..........." I use my account/login password but it doesn't recognise it. I changed my account/login password, still didn't work. Restarted my Mac, still didn't work. Don't know what else to do. Would appreciate any help.

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 9:56 PM

Charlotte282 Said:

I use my account/login password but it doesn't recognise it. I changed my account/login password, still didn't work. Restarted my Mac, still didn't work. Don't know what else to do.

———-

Try Reinstalling Safari:

Reinstalling Safari would set it back to its correct version, ultimately refreshing it. All bookmarks would be saved, should they be with your Apple ID.

Use these Steps:

1. Synchronize Safari Bookmarks with iCloud so they are not lost;
  2. delete Safari from your Mac; and then
  3. reinstall the macOS

For Note:

If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All intended, original files and Apps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled. It’s all about keeping your system files intact.

Time Machine backup:

Important: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2019 9:56 PM in response to Charlotte282

Charlotte282 Said:

I use my account/login password but it doesn't recognise it. I changed my account/login password, still didn't work. Restarted my Mac, still didn't work. Don't know what else to do.

———-

Try Reinstalling Safari:

Reinstalling Safari would set it back to its correct version, ultimately refreshing it. All bookmarks would be saved, should they be with your Apple ID.

Use these Steps:

1. Synchronize Safari Bookmarks with iCloud so they are not lost;
  2. delete Safari from your Mac; and then
  3. reinstall the macOS

For Note:

If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All intended, original files and Apps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled. It’s all about keeping your system files intact.

Time Machine backup:

Important: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong.

Sep 6, 2019 9:34 PM in response to Charlotte282

Charlotte282 Said:

when I try to open Safari Passwords all I get is "Passwords Are Locked. To unlock passwords, enter the password for the user ..........." I use my account/login password but it doesn't recognise it.

Try these Methods:

• Check your Caps Lock Key:

Disable Caps Lock, as it may be getting in the way here.

• SMC and NVRAM Resets:

Restart your Mac and then reset your SMC ought to fix this. Also, reset your NVRAM

• Run MalwareBytes:

Malware: Malicious SoftwareMalware is malicious software that makes your device(MacBook Pro) act in a mislead-manor. Download it Here: MalwareBytes for Mac.  It is 100% reliable, being developed by long-term Apple Users — It is available for free, and has free daily updates.

• Rid of Installed Security Software:

If none of the above fixes this, it certainly has to do with software installed in your current user. Permissions set

by Security Software may be disallowing this configuration So, rid of any such-installed software. Contact the developer on how to 100% uninstall this. It is a waste of space on a Mac.

Safari Passwords Locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.