Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tried to install OS but says it can't install and screen is frozen can't get back to home menu

How do you unfreeze the computer. The only options I have when it comes up with can't install OS is restart or shutdown. Both end up trying to reinstall the OS which then fails. How can i break the cycle. I was away fro 3 months and my computer was not updated in this time so it may be a date/time issue. But I can't get in to change the date/time.

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 10:10 PM

Maybe try a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least a full minute so it activates several times).

Can you boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) or Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R)?

2 replies

Sep 10, 2019 5:42 PM in response to CarmenNZ1

There shouldn’t be messages related to re-installing macOS here. (Yes, demonstrating my very firm grasp on the obvious.) Not unless the Mac was left erasing and re-installing the system back before vacation. Or somebody re-installed it for you.

What you’re describing seems to be Recovery, and triggering that usually means a corruption or a hardware problem.

Call Apple Support, and ask?

Tried to install OS but says it can't install and screen is frozen can't get back to home menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.