Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Caption editor shows captions as black-on-black; almost impossible to edit the captions. Help please!

I successfully imported an iTT caption file, and the captions show up fine on the video as white on a black background. The problem is that when I try to edit it in the caption editor, the text is black-on-black, i.e. not visible.

When I drag to select text, the selected text is white-on-purple, so the text is definitely there, just black-on-black when not selected.

Obviously this makes it difficult-to-impossible to edit my captions, which need editing. The same problem happens in the Inspector.

All the images I see on line of the caption editor or inspector show white text on a black background.

Resetting the preferences didn't solve the problem, unfortunately.

Hope you can help!

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 3:16 AM

Not sure whether I understand what you mean.

Some screenshots could be helpful.

Anyway:

Try to duplicate the caption role.

Then assign a new "SRT" caption role to the duplicate. This will reformat all captions to the base settings.

If anything looks okay you can assign the original "ITT" role again and delete the bad one.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2019 3:16 AM in response to nat-k

Not sure whether I understand what you mean.

Some screenshots could be helpful.

Anyway:

Try to duplicate the caption role.

Then assign a new "SRT" caption role to the duplicate. This will reformat all captions to the base settings.

If anything looks okay you can assign the original "ITT" role again and delete the bad one.

Sep 12, 2019 4:53 AM in response to spherico

Thank you! This is the caption on-screen in the viewer. It is correct:

This is the same caption in the caption editor. Note that although the text is not visible, it is there—the cursor is displaced:

...and if you drag from the right, the text is visible:

But when I add a caption manually, it works fine.

I will try your suggestion and put that in another reply, thanks.

Caption editor shows captions as black-on-black; almost impossible to edit the captions. Help please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.