Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Amazon Prime Video No Longer Working On Apple 4K TV

Bought my Apple 4K TV the last week of Aug 2019 and Amazon Prime Video worked great. September 10th, 2019 it stopped working. It won’t play videos and only gives me a message, “Something went wrong. Please try again later. For more help, go to amazon.com/videohelp. First, that video help is noting but question answer nonsense. No help at all. I called Amazon and they created a ticket, but didn’t have a solution. I called Apple and they pretty much fell back on the, “well it’s a third party issue,” with no solution. Something definitely happen on the 10th of September, because I had no problems with anything until than. Does anyone have an answer to get it to work, because Apple nor Amazon does?

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 11:24 AM

I have found that normal HD content works on the Amazon app but some of the HDR/4K material doesn’t. Some of the 4K stuff does work, like Expanse if I remember rightly and some other 4K titles. Carnival Row doesn’t work anymore and I watched that in 4K a few weeks ago. I’ve looked around the web and found other people with similar issues. App error maybe?

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2019 11:24 AM in response to frankie195

I have found that normal HD content works on the Amazon app but some of the HDR/4K material doesn’t. Some of the 4K stuff does work, like Expanse if I remember rightly and some other 4K titles. Carnival Row doesn’t work anymore and I watched that in 4K a few weeks ago. I’ve looked around the web and found other people with similar issues. App error maybe?

Sep 12, 2019 3:33 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Of course I’m a registered Amazon Prime Member, that’s how I’m able to watch Amazon’s video content. This is not just an Amazon problem, it’s both Apple & Amazon. Neither of which have the slightest clue what the issue is that’s causing it. Amazon works on all my Smart TVs, works on my XBox, even works on my iPhone. The fact that two of the most technological, advanced companies can’t do anything to fix this is ridiculous and embarrassing on their end.

Sep 13, 2019 6:10 AM in response to frankie195

I have exactly the same issue, started 2 days ago, except my error comes up with a Spanish title and English text saying “Algo salió mal” (I don’t know why this is in Spanish as my settings are all set to English UK), the dialog then has the following text “Please try again later, Fro help go to amazon/com/videohelp”.

The setting to 4K SDR does not work for me, haven't tried setting to 1080 as I don't want to lower my viewing content resolution. I've reverted to using the Amazon app native to my Samsung TV until Amazon/Apple resolve this issue which only seemed to occur after the recent tvOS update.

Sep 13, 2019 6:49 AM in response to BeantownMac

As other Apple TV apps are giving me 4K content without error, the problem is either an issue with a new version of the Amazon Prime app (updated 1 week ago) or an issue with Amazon's streaming servers. If no one is noticing the issue using Android TV or Rokus, I would be more likely to suspect the app has a bug. If everyone reports the issue to Amazon (including what they had to do to make it work), I suspect they could fix it quickly. I will submit a bug report myself and suggest you do the same.

Sep 13, 2019 6:56 AM in response to natdev

I have reported the issue to Amazon, they were not much help, they asked me to:

Deregister my Apple TV 4K then re-register it; this didn't work.

Next;

They asked me to update my firmware on the Apple TV, which was already up to date.

Next;

The asked me to carry out a full factory reset of my Apple TV, which I reluctantly did... Guess what, same issue when I set it all up again.

They have have not responded to my reply telling them none of their steps worked. I'll update post here if and when they do.

Sep 14, 2019 9:18 AM in response to frankie195

The hack didn't work for me. I discovered that some of the 4K content will play on the Apple 4K TV. There are other movies that won't play besides Carnival Row. I think that Carnival Row used to work and this is a recent problem. I don't know if the Prime App was recently updated (I have auto update on.), but if so, I suspect that the update broke something. Apple and Amazon need to get their respective heads together on this one.

Sep 15, 2019 4:33 AM in response to msontag

I just ran into this issue last night Saturday 9/15. It was Carnival Row. We had watched the first episode previously maybe a week or so ago with no problems on our Apple TV 4K. Last night we tried to watch the next episode and got the something went wrong notice. All other titles that I tried worked properly. And oddly Carnival Row played with no issue from our Sony tv’s native Amazon app. It also played properly on my iPad Pro Amazon app. This is only a problem on the Apple TV. I contacted their support and went through all the steps others mentioned above with no success. Then the rep said there were reports of an “outage” for some customers. That really sounded like a response to just get me off the phone.

Sep 15, 2019 5:35 AM in response to papjo

Exactly! Apple went through the motions and then passed the buck on to Amazon, even though Amazon was the one who transferred me over to Apple. They both had they same tired troubleshooting steps. They pretty much go in circles with no actual solution. I’m happy this thread is growing, I started one on Amazon as well. More people should continue and/or start threads to get their attention. At this point neither company has done anything to resolve it.

Amazon Prime Video No Longer Working On Apple 4K TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.