Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

merge cards not working

I am trying to merge cards in Contacts and, instead of merging, it simply deletes one of the cards. I can't find any trouble shooting ideas for this at all.

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 3:38 PM

Merge contact cards on Mac - Apple Support states:

"If you have more than one card for a contact in an account, you can merge the cards. Merging cards combines the cards and keeps all the unique information in a single card."

How were the duplicates identified, by using Contacts>Cards>Look for Duplicates...?

Your example describes two separate contact cards...Jane/John, but merging is designed to combine two contact cards for the same person, i.e. John.

If I add John Doe, and Jane Doe to my contacts, I have two cards. When I look for duplicates, none are found.

Selecting both cards manually, and selecting Contacts>Card>Merge Selected Cards...produces the results you describe. Jane takes priority in that case.

Do you use multiple accounts for contacts? If so, you can link them: Link contacts from different accounts on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2019 3:38 PM in response to wow8kids

Merge contact cards on Mac - Apple Support states:

"If you have more than one card for a contact in an account, you can merge the cards. Merging cards combines the cards and keeps all the unique information in a single card."

How were the duplicates identified, by using Contacts>Cards>Look for Duplicates...?

Your example describes two separate contact cards...Jane/John, but merging is designed to combine two contact cards for the same person, i.e. John.

If I add John Doe, and Jane Doe to my contacts, I have two cards. When I look for duplicates, none are found.

Selecting both cards manually, and selecting Contacts>Card>Merge Selected Cards...produces the results you describe. Jane takes priority in that case.

Do you use multiple accounts for contacts? If so, you can link them: Link contacts from different accounts on Mac - Apple Support

merge cards not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.