Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Apple stopped direct Raw File support?

Finder on my iMac [Mojave 10.14.6] can't show thumbnails of CR3 files [just spinning wait-wheel].

When I copy updated folders containing CR3 files from my HD to removable HD containing the same folders [earlier versions] and get the Replace/Skip etc interrogation window the number of files affected only shows jpeg files. not CR3, and the process only copies the jpeg, ignoring the CR3 files. It appears the only option is to transfer whole folders and not use Finder for a quick look at CR3 files? CR3 files don't import to Photos.

Apple's online Raw Support camera list indicates the Canon R is included but the experience above suggests otherwise.

Have Apple made a conscious decision to shift Raw support to third-party apps? Or am I missing some vital update?

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 5:31 AM

What I have found is that Finder wants the default opening application (see Get Info) to be Preview, and then (supported) .CR3 RAW images appear as file icons, and Quick Look works just fine. Like dialabrain, I too can view Canon EOS R RAW images in 10.14.6 (18G95) with the first sentence configured. Also, Affinity Photo has no issue opening these RAW files.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2019 5:31 AM in response to Comatose Marmoset

What I have found is that Finder wants the default opening application (see Get Info) to be Preview, and then (supported) .CR3 RAW images appear as file icons, and Quick Look works just fine. Like dialabrain, I too can view Canon EOS R RAW images in 10.14.6 (18G95) with the first sentence configured. Also, Affinity Photo has no issue opening these RAW files.

Sep 14, 2019 6:11 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks Dialabrain

The CR3 files function just fine via Image Capture or Lightroom as well as Photoshop. They misbehave in Finder. The current default app to open CR3 files is Preview but that can't open the files, I just get "Preview currently does not support this raw file format". QuickLook just gives me the rotating time-out wheel.

I can see a 'preview' in Finder of all other camera raw file types [CR2, NRW, RAF] and have been thinking Apple were just being slow updating the Raw Support. But from what you say it sounds like I have an issue and better get on to Apple Support. Thanks for your help. CM.

Sep 14, 2019 6:17 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks VikingOSX

The current default app to open CR3 files is Preview but I just get "Preview currently does not support this raw file format". QuickLook just gives me the rotating time-out wheel. I can see other camera raw file types in Finder [CR2, NRW, RAF].

The files work fine imported directly into Lightroom, Photoshop and Image Capture.

I was thinking Apple were just being slow updating the Raw Support. But from what you say it seems I have an issue and better get on to Apple Support.

Thanks for your help. CM.

Sep 14, 2019 6:39 AM in response to Comatose Marmoset

It could be that you are providing compressed .CR3 RAW images, and while Adobe products appear to support it, Apple's EOS R RAW support may not. Historically, where compressed RAW is not supported, Apple would usually place a footnote stating that, but they may have omitted that small detail in the current iteration of the supported RAW document.

I just downloaded a RAW EOS R Gallery photo from DPReview and it opened correctly in Preview on 10.14.6 (18G95).

Double-check that you have applied the (third) Software Update of the 10.14.6 Supplemental update (18G95) because Apple might have tossed in the latest RAW camera support as a last minute thing.

Sep 14, 2019 8:45 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi VikingOSX, Thanks for persisting.

I tend to avoid compression where I know about it and do not think it is involved here [though I'll check camera settings!]

The iMac does have 10.14.6 (18G95). I see in my Mac's System Report/Software/RAW Support list - the CANON EOS R camera is listed but not the CANON EOS RP - which is a newer camera.

Thanks for the link - I downloaded CANON EOS R files [.CR3 same as my RP files] - and they both open fine [28MB and 59MB]. I found some CANON EOS RP files and downloaded two of those - they fail to open, even with Preview & Quick Look.

So, either it is a CANON issue with RP camera files [since February '19] or an update issue with Apple's RAW Support file list or still a technical issue with my Mac.

I have logged a call with Apple that is being pushed through to Technical/Engineers for attention next week. If I get a fix/explanation I'll post it back here. I'll get on to Canon support as well.

Thanks very much for your efforts.

Sep 14, 2019 9:15 AM in response to Comatose Marmoset

Well that explains a lot. A Canon EOS RP and a Canon EOS R are not the same camera. FWIW, just because they both have a CR3 extension does not mean they are the same format. Had you mentioned you have an RP, not an R, I could have let you know the RP's are not supported as yet. Someone asked the same question some months ago. It may or may not be supported when Catalina is released in October.

Sep 14, 2019 9:54 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks Dialabrain,

Sorry about that. The R has a fancy dual pixel sensor that can produce twin .CR3 files so they must have different characteristics. They could have given the files different names so my fathead would be alert to the importance of a difference in cameras.

I am used to a month or so's delay before RAW file updates catch up [at least for Adobe] so thought something else was happening.

Saw your post about DNG, thanks for the suggestion. I have zero experience of DNG so will have to do a bit of research and experimentation. I use PS and LR so there may be benefits in dng. Thanks. CM

Has Apple stopped direct Raw File support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.