Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes run from External Hard Drive does not recognize when iPhone is connected, so I cannot back up

Many years ago I moved my iTunes (and Photos) to an external hard drive to save space on my Mac. After updating to Mojave, now when I connect the external hard drive (Seagate), then connect my iPhone, and open iTunes, the iPhone is not showing up on connected. Thus, I cannot backup my iPhone nor update the iTunes libraries.

I have tried to open iTunes via various routes ("command" then iTunes to be sure it's connecting to the correct library; opening iTunes directly from the external drive, etc...) and it iPhone is not showing up anywhere.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 8:45 AM

The location of your library isn't relevant to the issue with device detection. See If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support. Use a known good cable, check the docking port for fluff, unlock the device before connecting, trust the computer if prompted.

tt2

3 replies

iTunes run from External Hard Drive does not recognize when iPhone is connected, so I cannot back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.