Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 1

I have an original iPad 1, which until recently worked fine. Then a number of applications (DropBox, etc...) dropped support for it. I was also using it for just an iTunes player, but I'm running into the 2-step authorization issue. So:

A: Is there some way I can transfer files down to the iPad from my PC JUST using the USB cable?

B: When using the 2-step authorization scheme, it defaults to sending the code to an e-mail address that NEVER receives it - if I try on my PC, I can tell it to resend to my text service, but I do not have that option for my old iPad. Can I set a default address of my cell phone for the Apple ID verification code?

Or do I just have an expensive skeet target?

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 11:30 PM

Actually, I had to create a new Apple ID to reset the iPad (you cannot switch OUT of 2-step verification once enrolled), which is allowing me to reload iTunes on it as we speak.

And because it does not come equipped with many apps right off, you cannot use iTunes to download other files - that would work for iPad 2's & up, but the iPad 1 is just not supported.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2019 11:30 PM in response to QuickPost

Actually, I had to create a new Apple ID to reset the iPad (you cannot switch OUT of 2-step verification once enrolled), which is allowing me to reload iTunes on it as we speak.

And because it does not come equipped with many apps right off, you cannot use iTunes to download other files - that would work for iPad 2's & up, but the iPad 1 is just not supported.

Sep 19, 2019 5:04 PM in response to Tezcatlipoca2012

Hello,

To answer your first question, you can use iTunes File Sharing to transfer files.

Use iTunes to share files between your computer and iPad

Two-Step Verification cannot use an Apple ID’s email address as a phone number. If you only use an iPad (1st Generation) then you may want to disable Two-Step Verification on your Apple ID from appleid.apple.com.

iPad 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.