Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not open photo, Please try again in a moment

I upgraded to iOS 13 last night and now if I try to edit photos or select a photo to post on Instagram, that I have uploaded from my PC to iPhone via iCloud, I get an error saying "Could not open photo. Please try again in a moment". I can view the photos and zoom in on them, but if I try to edit a photo or try to post in Instagram I get the message. Photos that I take on my phone do not present the same message, it is only photos that I have uploaded from my PC.

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 2:31 AM

What is the file format of the photos you download to your iPhone from your PC? Try to stick with compatible image file formats - JPEG, some RAW formats, TIFF, PNG.

Occasionally photos cannot be opened, if an unsupported color sync profile is used. It is suspicious, that only photos you took with the iPhone camera can be opened. The upgrade to iOS13 and Catalina made some older codecs incompatible. Some photos and videos, that have been compatible with iOS 12 and macOS 10.14 Mojave are no longer compatible with iOS 13 and macOS 101.5 Catalina. Compare the formats of your image files to this list: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

The list has been written for iMovie, but it can be a guide for Photos too.

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 2:31 AM in response to charlesralston

What is the file format of the photos you download to your iPhone from your PC? Try to stick with compatible image file formats - JPEG, some RAW formats, TIFF, PNG.

Occasionally photos cannot be opened, if an unsupported color sync profile is used. It is suspicious, that only photos you took with the iPhone camera can be opened. The upgrade to iOS13 and Catalina made some older codecs incompatible. Some photos and videos, that have been compatible with iOS 12 and macOS 10.14 Mojave are no longer compatible with iOS 13 and macOS 101.5 Catalina. Compare the formats of your image files to this list: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

The list has been written for iMovie, but it can be a guide for Photos too.

Oct 29, 2019 4:11 AM in response to charlesralston

Oct 29, 2019 5:22 PM in response to JacobHelpme22

Sorry I meant to post before today but had a hectic weekend. I had a response from Apple engineers and they told me that they could now see the problem with the photos and the iPhone Photo App from their data collection sync off my iPhone. This was the third data sync with their profile installed on my phone and this time they actually 'captured' the problem 'live' with several of my photos not being able to open in the Photo Library because of the error 'Cannot Load Photo'.

So finally from all the statistics collected the engineers could 'see' the problem.

Apple did tell me that they will contact me again on Friday 1st November with their 'findings' and thanked me for bringing this to their attention. So I believe it's a bug after all.

Hopefully this will bring a fix.

Sep 22, 2019 10:29 PM in response to léonie

It appears that the formatting was the issue. In Photoshop, if I use the Save for Web feature, the JPEG that it saved would not allow me to edit the image on my phone after transferring it using iCloud. However, if I did the full File > Save As > JPEG, those files are editable on the device. So, it appears that it has to do with the method of saving the JPEG from Adobe Photoshop.

Sep 29, 2019 7:34 AM in response to Rosa07

Further to my comment, it seems that there is a difference between jpeg and jpg. But I don't understand why the Photos App doesn't recognise the jpg file?

I've uploaded other images to iCloud via PC as a jpg file then the Photo App won't open the file or let me edit the file.

However, if I've upload the same image as a "jpeg" file then the Photo App will allow it to open and edit.

I don't have a Mac but a Windows PC

Oct 4, 2019 5:49 AM in response to Rosa07

I tested a bit on my Mac. When I import a file with the filename extension ".jpg" to Photos on the Mac, Photos will change the filename. When I export the file again from Photos, the exported filename will be all capitals and the filename extension will be ".jpeg". So Photos for mac is now uploading all JPGs with the filename extension ".jpeg" to icloud. But the web interface at www.icloud.com is still working differently and not converting the extension.

Oct 4, 2019 8:34 AM in response to léonie

On my Windows PC, when importing a file with the filename extension ".jpg" or ".jpeg" from Photos iCloud on my PC, Photos file name stays the same. It doesn't change.

When I export the file again to Photos iCloud app, the exported filename stays exactly the same.

I load a ".jpg" photo from my Canon camera into my PC DropBox then I go into my iPhone, go to DropBox and save the photo from DropBox into Photos and then I go to view my photo and Photos says "Cannot load Photo".

So I don't know what to think.

However Leonie, I do think the interface www.icloud.com is working differently and so is Photos on devices.

I can however, use the Snapseed Photo App on my iPhone and import that photo into that App, the one that Photo won't load and Snapseed has a message that - "This is image is a read only. Saving will create a copy." I make some adjustment and Snapseed creates a copy which Photos then will open.

It's really strange.

Oct 11, 2019 1:51 AM in response to charlesralston

Apple Engineers contacted me today as they said they would and they cannot reproduce the problem, even though they've screen shared my devices and I've uploaded detailed step by step screenshots, they're not seeing the problem.

So this time what they did was wait until I uploaded a photo to iCloud.com and then on my iPhone I had to open the photo and as usual, Photos could not load photo. Then they were able to to perform an enhanced logging session and collect the actual data from my phone.

I will hear from them again Wednesday next week.

It just seems I'm going over and over this issue with the engineers and they're not getting it.

Perhaps if more of us contacted https://getsupport.apple.com/ they might get an idea that this is really an issue in discussions.apple.com - even though I've told them about the discussions here, I don't think they look to be honest.

Could not open photo, Please try again in a moment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.