Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to downgrade from safari 13 to 12??

the new safari blotched all my fav sites! is there a way to downgrade?

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 10:49 AM

so I've had it with Apple for good. There you set up the browser the way you want to use it, and then Apple shoots the extensions in the browser with an update. I will shoot down Safari and use Firefox from now on. I need the Mac to work. I don't want to constantly have to deal with the operating system like a Microsoft user or Linux freak.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2019 10:49 AM in response to AxeBox360

so I've had it with Apple for good. There you set up the browser the way you want to use it, and then Apple shoots the extensions in the browser with an update. I will shoot down Safari and use Firefox from now on. I need the Mac to work. I don't want to constantly have to deal with the operating system like a Microsoft user or Linux freak.

Sep 23, 2019 10:54 AM in response to Anubisfox

Same here, Safari13 broke the ability of adding Google accounts to `System Preferences > Internet Accounts`, therefore leaving me without Google Mail, Calendar & Contacts.

Reverting to an older Time Machine backup means I will be loosing 15 days of data, which is a significant loss.

Having the ability to revert to an older version, at least as a dev. would do no harm.

Sep 25, 2019 9:03 AM in response to Anubisfox

MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A DISK IMAGE CLONE OR BOOTABLE CLONE OF YOUR EXISTING HD ON AN EXTERNAL HD AS A FAILSAFE!

On High Sierra I had this issue and what worked for me was to selectively restore from my Carbon Copy Cloner backup the System Folder, Library and the old version of Safari from before the Safari 13 update. I searched for folders named Safari within my User account and restored those too. All other User data was left untouched.

This may work in Time Machine too but I haven't tried it.

Sep 26, 2019 5:34 PM in response to Anubisfox

I have bigger problems. By upgrading to Safari 13, all Selenium automated tests for Safari that I've developed are now failing and no one on the internet seem to have a solution yet. Still working on Safari 12 without any issues but since I have upgrade to 13 on my work Mac now I am blocked by this issue. I should have known better since not the first time I have to deal with something like this whenever an update is released. Some are saying reload Mojave to get Safari 12 back , sounds like a risky approach as I wouldn't want to lose data and rebuild from scratch.

Sep 27, 2019 12:41 AM in response to Kopchony

Kopchony wrote:

Hey apple, thank you for shutting down all my extensions! And forcing me to use Chrome as default browser, good job Apple :(
What about adding video calls support for Facebook Messenger in 2019 instead of cutting already poor functionality in Safari?

Agree with you about Safari. Though you have bigger problems if you’re using Chrome and Facebook.

Sep 30, 2019 7:48 AM in response to Anubisfox

Apparently, despite the fact that Apple considers Safari to be an "integral part of macOS", they update it EVEN IF you have "Install macOS updates" turned OFF, like I do. (Way to mix your signals, Apple!) I lost half a day's work and the entire weekend restoring from backup because Safari 13 botches extensions and eliminates WebClips -- which is the reason I am NOT upgrading to Catalina, as I still use Dashboard a dozen times a day.

If you restore from backup, be sure to go to Software Update, click Advanced, and uncheck EVERYTHING, even "Check for Updates". Otherwise Apple with screw you over all over again.

Sep 30, 2019 12:23 PM in response to Mann

To downgrade Safari 13 to Safari 12 is such an easy task. I have done it on two Macs.

I am assuming you are running Mojave or High Sierra but this works with any OS, I have tried it several times.

Safari and other applications are part of the OS and can't be removed or replaced individually.

Take your Bootable USB with your respective OS on it, which you made for each OS as you progressed through OS upgrades...What!! you never made a bootable USB or kept your original install discs for each OS. Oh dear.

For you real clever people who made Bootable OS's, Insert it and boot to it and reinstall you OS. It will install the original OS and leave all your settings as the were including Safari but with the previous version.

Time Machine had good intentions but never really worked the way you want it, data loss, etc, etc.

Thank god for Bootable USB's and Install discs.

Yes , Apple did make a mistake putting out an update for Safari 13 and 12 for High Sierra and maybe other OS's but it is easily fixed without losses.

how to downgrade from safari 13 to 12??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.