Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beware of screen burn with dark mode

Since i can’t find any topics about this I’m posting it here. Since the update I have used dark mode on my XS Max. Today I just noticed the keyboard has burned into the screen. Light gray and noticeable enough to be a nuisance. I’ve never had this issue before with any iPhone.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 6:43 AM

32 replies

Sep 29, 2019 5:14 AM in response to yarden170

Hi Yarden, i dont think its fair of Apple to launch a software/feature that causes burn ins under NORMAL usage within such a short time frame. I am absolutely outraged, irregardless whether if your iPhone is out of warranty, Apple should replace it FOC. I was offended when Apple's CS tried to educate me on how to use a Phone with an OLED display. This is Apple's mistake, not the user's.

Sep 22, 2019 3:59 PM in response to Titan2

Happened to me as well. Just spent an hour with Apple Support who said they're sending my information to their engineers. I also found at least 5-6 other people on Twitter reporting the same issue.

I have an 18 month old iPhone X that has had zero burn in issues. In the 3 days since I updated to iOS 13/Dark Mode, I have a dark mode keyboard burnt into my screen.

Oct 1, 2019 10:55 AM in response to Titan2

Hello,

This is expected behavior.

"If you look at an OLED display off-angle, you might notice slight shifts in color and hue. This is a characteristic of OLED and is normal behavior. With extended long-term use, OLED displays can also show slight visual changes. This is also expected behavior and can include “image persistence” or “burn-in,” where the display shows a faint remnant of an image even after a new image appears on the screen. This can occur in more extreme cases such as when the same high contrast image is continuously displayed for prolonged periods of time. We’ve engineered the Super Retina and Super Retina XDR displays to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED "burn-in."

About the Super Retina display on your iPhone X, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max, and the Super Retina XDR display on your iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max

Sep 22, 2019 5:29 PM in response to ConnorHD3

Yup i knew I couldn’t be the only one. I spent about 40 min talking to support also about the issue. They said to reinstall iOS 13 through iTunes to see if it fixes it. Obviously I’m not doing that because everyone knows screen burn is permanent and the damage is already done. Apple is going to have a huge problem once people start to notice this.

Sep 29, 2019 12:52 PM in response to DaveTNAF

The problem is, I don't anyone can state at this point whether the issue is actually burn-in or not.

It's more likely Image Retention, which is quite different and is non-permanent.

OLED screens are subject to both effects, but you won't "burn in" an OLED in five minutes or even fifteen or fifty. Three or more hours, perhaps.

On regular television sets, there are mechanisms provided to "exercise" the pixels to get rid of IR; nothing will remove BI.

Sep 30, 2019 4:05 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Can you clarify on when IR becomes BI? In my case, I noticed IR on my screen last Saturday, and it was very noticeable. Around two days later, the BI was only around 50% as noticeable but it stayed at that level until Friday when the display was replaced. Just doing some quick research on IR with OLED TVs, it seams that IR recovery is measured in minutes, not days. I'm no expert, but it seems that if we are seeing IR issues that last more that 24 hours, it starts to look like BI.

Sep 30, 2019 4:08 AM in response to dolszews

One doesn't really "become" the other, but the delineation is IR can go away, eventually, though it may take weeks or months.

Burn-in is permanent.

The only real way to tell which is which is to take actions to try and reverse IR, and if nothing helps, it's BI.

With TVs, this is typically done by use of a scrolling white bar on the display run for a day or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising soul creates an App Store app to do just that.

Beware of screen burn with dark mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.