Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstalled Apps data use

Hello,

I noticed I have uninstalled data usage under cellular usage. I’ve read that it’s the data that the apps I deleted used, and that it should be cleared if I were to reset the statistics.

However, I reset my statistics, and I hadn’t deleted any apps after that until now. However, again, the uninstalled apps are showing on my data usage .... with like 90mb. Why is this happening?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 1:30 PM

58 replies

Jan 6, 2020 11:18 AM in response to adi226

Bump.

Any updates on this?

I have the same problem. Yesterday I totally nuked my phone and installed everything fresh - not even a restore from backup. And within minutes I was getting cellular data usage from an "uninstalled app." I'm already at 1gig in just 20 hours.

Not sure if this is related or not, but my "DNS Services" is using a ton of data as well. This should be very low given the size of a DNS lookup and it's already at almost 1MB in 20 hours.

I've been on WiFi almost the entire time too. I left the house for a bit this morning, but I'd say 90% of the time I've been on Wifi.

Any news on this problem?

FYI - There's another thread with the same issue and no solution - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250698474

Feb 4, 2020 3:28 AM in response to adi226

I have found some settings that might actually be helpful. Try the following:

• Remove home from Home App (don't know if this is needed, though)
  • Then go to Settings -> <apple ID> -> iCloud and disable the following: Home, Health, Wallet, Game Center, Siri
  • Bonus: go to Settings -> Mobile Data -> Mobile Data Options -> Voice & Data -> de-select VoLTE ON!

My results: Uninstalled Apps data consumption: 0.1kB for the last 4 hours, compared with cca 20MB per hour.

I don't know which of the iCloud settings made the trick. I would bet on Home App & Health considering other post on the Internet. I consumed already too much data to Uninstalled Apps this month to make more test.

Note that all these apps had Mobile Data turned OFF already (as well as WiFI assist, iCloud Drive, Files, Settings, Music, Photos).

Good luck!

Nov 14, 2019 5:55 AM in response to adi226

I have been having this issue as well and have been working with Apple for three weeks now. My phone has blown through 19 gig of data of which 70% has been uninstalled apps, with the phone being replaced, and nothing being installed or uninstalled on the phone. This has been going on the past three weeks with no resolution. (And it ***** since I am on an 8gig plan) About to goto TMobile and sign up for an unlimited plan until this issue gets resolved.

Dec 3, 2019 6:27 PM in response to adi226

I am having the same issue on all three iPhones in my family - both personal and work phones. I have upgraded to 13.2.3. On my work phone, uninstalled apps went through 1.6 GB data in less than one day where I had a wifi connection. I had to turn off cellular data on my personal phones as I was running out of data.

Dec 4, 2019 4:30 AM in response to diorama1

I got a newly set up from scratch iPhone SE from work on Friday last week. It too has this same issue and has used 5 mb of data in the uninstalled apps category. I have never uninstalled anything on this device. IT had wiped it completely and set it up as new before it was given to me to complete setup with my AppleID.

Both of my affected phones use D-Telekom for the service provider. This is not likely a carrier issue.

Dec 6, 2019 1:40 PM in response to Ben Turner

I myself have gone through 4GBs of cellular data under ‘Uninstalled apps’ since Dec 2nd, today is the 6th. I opened a case with Apple on Dec 4th where they took 3 different logs from my phone. Doing a cellular reset with them has got it over 600MB in 2 days. I’ve already added another 3GBs of data onto my account to avoid overage charges. My husband has had the same issue, our other devices are running rampant on cellular data under this unknown item. I’m on 13.2.3 and he is 13.1.3. Crazy!

Dec 14, 2019 9:27 PM in response to adi226

I have virgin 10GB plan. I’ve never even come close to using that until last month when I exceeded it. 80% on uninstalled apps! Apple is clueless and not helpful at all. Been into store and on phone with support number of times all with no solution. I’ve tried everything they suggested to no avail. Finally upgraded from my 8 to new iPhone 11. Thought I had solved my problem by getting new phone....was sadly wrong....still blowing thru data in uninstalled apps....up to 210 MB today alone which is over 1/2 my total usage. This is a brand new phone....nothing ever uninstalled! WTH is going on and when is Apple going to address this issue and stop telling me I’m the only one they’ve heard of to have this problem?

Dec 14, 2019 10:41 PM in response to J-snowy

I am currently working with customer support on this issue. They have escalated to the engineers. Customer support recommended upgrading to iOS 13.3. After the upgrade, uninstalled apps is no longer the issue. Now the problem in my case is System Services. In the two days after resetting cellular date usage statistics, I have 416 MB of total cellular data use of which 264 MB comes from System Services (within that folder, 161 MB are from Documents and Sync and 75 MB are from General). The problem seems to have been renamed as most of my data is coming from theses two areas. I am definitely burning through data at a faster rate than I have ever done before without changing my cellphone usage. If anything, I have been trying to use less. This is still an open case with customer support. They have not yet come up with a solution.

Uninstalled Apps data use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.