You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Working out & Music on Apple watch series 5

Hi, long time user since Series 0..i think it was named 0.

Anyway when working out you typically start the workout app and then have music playing in the background.

Now it seems every time u look at the watch you have to swipe left to go the controls which can adjust music (next track, pause, previous track, volume). Usually when you have workout and music playing anytime you looked at the watch it would have the music part and you would need to swipe right to get back to the workout results.

I would prefer it stayed on the music controls. Maybe I changed something but it seems now it first shows the workout results rather than the music controls.

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 1:31 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 25, 2019 10:52 AM in response to girokastrit

Hello girokastrit.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If I'm understanding correctly, you would like to see your Music controls on your Apple Watch face during workouts. I will be glad to assist.

Let's check to make sure that the Music complication is set. Here's how:

Customize the watch face

"Add complications to the watch face

You can add special features—called complications—to some watch faces, so you can instantly check things like stock prices, the weather report, or information from other apps you installed.

1. With the watch face showing, firmly press the display, then tap Customize.
  2. Swipe left all the way to the end.
  3. If a face offers complications, they’re shown on the last screen.
  4. Tap a complication to select it, then turn the Digital Crown to choose a new one—Activity or Heart Rate, for example.
  5. When you’re finished, press the Digital Crown to save your changes, then tap the face to switch to it."

Cheers.

Sep 29, 2019 2:18 PM in response to girokastrit

I noticed this too - it's a change in the workout app (and has nothing to do with complications on a watch face). The last few versions of watchOS would stay on the "now playing" screen during a workout. Now with watchOS 6, it constantly reverts to the workout screen even when music is playing. It's annoying, because 90% of the time I want to look at what song is playing, not see my calorie count or heart rate.

I've looked for a setting to change this behavior, and found nothing. The setting to "auto-launch audio apps" only works when not using the workout app (when that's turned on, the behavior of the watch does a complete 180° shift depending on whether you're using the workout app or not).

I'm hoping it's a bug that will be fixed soon, or that they add a user preference to change it.

Working out & Music on Apple watch series 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.