Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank Email Cannot be Deleted

Is anyone else having an issue where there is a blank email on the iPhone, but when you go to delete it it stays there? I have tried to "archive" it, but it just shuts down the mail app. I've done a reset on my phone, but it is still there. Showed up shortly after doing the upgrade ti iOS 13. It shows up as a blank space between the other email messages that I have.

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2019 4:37 AM

Hey I’ve found a fix for this

it used to occur years ago, and being sad I remember how to fix it.

forget about the settings

go to the home screen and hold down the Mail App icon until you get either the squiggle or options on later phones.

delete the app. Confirm.

go to App Store and redownload

whwn you open the App it will want you to go to mail account setup again, however don’t bother it’s likely your account is just switched off in Mail settings.

Go to settings and switch on the account by enabling your mail button in the saved mail accounts.

go back to the Homescreen and open the app, this refreshes the sync.

Solved!

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2019 4:37 AM in response to M_F_P_1983

Hey I’ve found a fix for this

it used to occur years ago, and being sad I remember how to fix it.

forget about the settings

go to the home screen and hold down the Mail App icon until you get either the squiggle or options on later phones.

delete the app. Confirm.

go to App Store and redownload

whwn you open the App it will want you to go to mail account setup again, however don’t bother it’s likely your account is just switched off in Mail settings.

Go to settings and switch on the account by enabling your mail button in the saved mail accounts.

go back to the Homescreen and open the app, this refreshes the sync.

Solved!

Nov 3, 2019 7:17 AM in response to Julhara

I continue to have the “blank email” problem on my iPhone 8. I posted this issue on 10/20/2019. Below is a photo of my current problem. I updated to iOS 13.2. I have AT&T, Gmail, Microsoft Office 365, iCloud, AOL email accounts .

Currently, the problem only occurs on my AT&T IMAP email account. I have deleted the account and reinstalled the account. No success.

Oct 21, 2019 4:39 AM in response to Nikon850lady

a friend told me to go to settings, mail and delete account. Make sure you know the password for your emails. Wait a little while and go back and add back emails. This did fix my emails. You would think they you post how to fix since it is impacting so many. Google how delete and re-add emails on iPhone. Plus know what type iPhone mine was 6S Plus.

Nov 26, 2019 10:28 AM in response to M_F_P_1983

Since the last update and previous update in November 2019 which created the problem of blank emails and headings this has not been rectified and is causing real problems.Also emails which can be seen and when going into edit to move the email to a file by clicking move does not show the file name automatically as it used to. So it all has be done manually by finding the file which is laborious taking ages for each email coming in. Also it takes longer to write emails as it auto corrects spelt words to misspelt words and doubles up words.Also when using the keyboard and choosing a letter numbers come up. It really is frustrating.

Nov 26, 2019 10:51 AM in response to M_F_P_1983

Apple have completely destroyed the Mail App.

its a joke now.

move an email to a folder within your inbox, then when a related message comes in, it disappears from the main inbox folder and lands in the folder you previously moved the initial message to.

im now chasing replies from people and they’ve already sent them but I’ve not seen them hit the inbox.

What a **** up this is.

Apple seem that busy thinking up the next big thing, they’re forgetting the basics.

Poor, Buggy software was unheard of until Cook got there.

Dec 6, 2019 7:57 PM in response to JujiAnn

I have had the same problem. I deleted my email account & re-installed several times, I updated to 13.2.3 & it fixed it initially. today I was back to the blank spaces and blue dots, making it look like the email is unread. It only happens on my one email account (msn) I have 3 other email accounts that are fine! I am afraid to delete the app... will I have to re-enter all 4 of my emails? This is so frustrating!

Jan 20, 2020 12:16 AM in response to meldundon

This is More than frustrating. I have been an android user forever. I have had a Mac book pro and an iPad for years and finally decided to switch to an iPhone. I have total buyers remorse, the iPhone 11pro max is the worst phone I have ever experienced. The email “blanks” problem is ridiculous you think you have it fixed and the problem comes right back. I have spent an inordinate amount of time in the Apple store, on the phone with apple care and in TMobile with no resolve. Other than having a phone with better security I don’t understand why so many people like the iPhone... doesn’t even come close to how androids operate. I have had nothing but problems with my email since I got this phone almost 3 weeks ago. Feels like I took a big bite out of a Rotten Apple.

Jan 21, 2020 2:44 PM in response to sindy144

I have the same problem too. It’s only happened since the last update. Like others, I have several email accounts but it only seems to happen with Yahoo mail. I have tried deleting my yahoo account then reinstating it, which works for a while, then it goes back to how it was. I’ve tried deleting then re downloading the mail app, which didn’t help at all. It’s driving me mad! I keep worrying I’ve missed out on an important email. Please Apple, fix this problem!

Feb 8, 2020 12:25 AM in response to M_F_P_1983

I managed to delete them by finding the offending account - in my case it was "Live"

Go to Setting

Select Passwords & Accounts

Select "Live" in Accounts

Toggle the switch to turn it off

Then I checked mail and the blank emails were gone. I then went back to Accounts and turned "Live" back on. Blank emails were still gone.

Blank Email Cannot be Deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.