Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Horizontal Lines at the Bottom and Top of the MacBook Screen

Hello! I use MacBook Pro 13" (2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports). Black horizontal lines appeared at the bottom of the screen and eventually turned to black bars as on the photo. I get rid of them once I shut down my MacBook, but they re-appear 5 mins after opening it. Now I have those lines appearing at the top of the screen.

I took it Apple Store once I realized the problem, but they wanted to change the display and charge me for it (I'm out of warranty).

My MacBook is less then 2 yrs old, always used under the roof, no physical damage, never used for gaming or heavy duties such as rendering, data processing etc. A brief google search tells me that many people encounters the same problem and it looks like a hardware issue.

The solution offered(changing the display) is way to expensive and considering user fault is not involved in this issue, Apple itself is not helpful at all. No explanation about how it happens...

*I have also tried PRAM and SCM resetting, didn't help.

I appreciate if you share your experiences and solutions

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 8:55 PM

Connect an external display. If the lines/bars don't appear on the external display, then you know the laptop's Display is defective.

Even the best and highest quality items can fail at any time. It just happens sometimes. You bought an expensive laptop which also includes expensive replacement parts. Cars are the same way.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2019 8:55 PM in response to BilgeCan

Connect an external display. If the lines/bars don't appear on the external display, then you know the laptop's Display is defective.

Even the best and highest quality items can fail at any time. It just happens sometimes. You bought an expensive laptop which also includes expensive replacement parts. Cars are the same way.

Black Horizontal Lines at the Bottom and Top of the MacBook Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.