Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

2022 MacBook Pro 14" black vertical lines on screen

My 2022 MacBook Pro 14” developed black vertical lines on the left half of the screen that move when I tilt the display. This happened from one day to the next, and there was no physical damage or abuse of the computer. The Apple Genius Bar said it’s a display cable issue, and offered a $800 screen replacement for a computer 55 days out of warranty. Are there any others who have experienced a similar problem? Note that I did not wedge anything between the screen and keyboard when closing the lid. If this is a known issue, Apple should issue a repair program.

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 10:57 AM

JAKMCLEAN wrote:

My 2022 MacBook Pro 14” developed black vertical lines on the left half of the screen that move when I tilt the display. This happened from one day to the next, and there was no physical damage or abuse of the computer. The Apple Genius Bar said it’s a display cable issue, and offered a $800 screen replacement for a computer 55 days out of warranty.

If you have AppleCare+

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

Purchase the new coverage within 30 days after your original Applecare+ coverage ends.

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage - Apple Support

take it in for repair or use an external monitor to bypass the issue

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2023 10:57 AM in response to JAKMCLEAN

JAKMCLEAN wrote:

My 2022 MacBook Pro 14” developed black vertical lines on the left half of the screen that move when I tilt the display. This happened from one day to the next, and there was no physical damage or abuse of the computer. The Apple Genius Bar said it’s a display cable issue, and offered a $800 screen replacement for a computer 55 days out of warranty.

If you have AppleCare+

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

Purchase the new coverage within 30 days after your original Applecare+ coverage ends.

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage - Apple Support

take it in for repair or use an external monitor to bypass the issue

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Jul 8, 2023 5:20 PM in response to JAKMCLEAN

JAKMCLEAN wrote:

Here is one example: A Black Line on My New 14-inch MacBook Pr… - Apple Community

Regardless, if it’s a hardware failure after less than 14 months Apple should show commitment to make it right. At least share the repair cost.

I do not see a trend here, non-the-less — tell it to Apple...

a synopsis by Grant Bennet-Alder:

Apple sold about 20 million Macs last year. That's about 400,000 a week for 50 weeks. On a seven-day schedule, that means they shipped over 57,000 a day, and most of them were MacBook/MacBook Pro models

yours failed, if you can not justify the repair use an external monitor or trade it in as is, or sell it to get out from under it.

Not sure what else to tell you.

If they offer a service program for your exact issue on your exact Mac they will give you a refund for out of pocket expense.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact the corporate office   Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Jul 8, 2023 4:25 PM in response to JAKMCLEAN

JAKMCLEAN wrote:

Thanks for these pointers. AppleCare should be for my own mistakes, for example when I accidentally drop the computer, not for Apple’s fault which is the case here when the display cable fails after just 14 months of regular use. Apple should offer a repair program for known quality issues like this.

I know of no known issue on the 2022 MBP.

warranty, extended warranty are for all hardware issues ..

be sure to submit your feedback for Apple to read, in the link above.

Jul 8, 2023 6:57 PM in response to leroydouglas

Look, what you say is exactly what I’m doing. Are you working for Apple? My main reason for this post is to make Apple aware of the issue I’m having, so that they can (1) improve their quality control, and (2) establish if there is indeed a pattern. And perhaps be kind enough to meet me in the middle. Alas, the last is not happening. So, I’m not looking for any answers from you, just want to draw attention to this issue for Apple and others.

2022 MacBook Pro 14" black vertical lines on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.