Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 running very slow with iPadOS 13

I updated my iPad Air 2 to iPadOS 13.1 and it's running very slowly. It's not bricked but is barely useable. Anything I press it takes awhile for anything to happen and it's barely useable. Also here and there it won't connect to WiFi and I then have to select my WiFi and input the password again even though it should know this already.

Are these knows bugs with iPadOS 13.1. Is it possible for me to reinstall iPadOS 13.1 or even downgrade? Should I simply wait for the first update to iPadOS and hope that fixes it?

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 10:53 AM

Similar questions

41 replies

Oct 1, 2019 6:03 PM in response to markwco10

I had all the same issues. I was unable to join my wifi network or connect to iTunes on my computer after installing iPadOS. However, I was able to resolve this by following the instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263. This basically entails force restarting the iPad, entering recovery mode, and then using the Restore option to erase the iPad and start clean (instead of the Update option). I then restored my previous settings and data from my iCloud backup since I also did not have a local backup. All fixed!

Sep 26, 2019 7:28 AM in response to Divefrosty

Does anyone know when the next update is out, iPadOS 13.2 or 13.11? There seems to be a lot of bugs so I hope Apple releases an update soon. My hope is this fixes it. With the way my iPad is running so slow and also not keeping connected to WiFi well I'm not sure if I'll even be able to update.

Fortunately I made a backup just before this happened. I know another option is to do a reset and restore from backup. Is it true that if I do this I will have to log into all apps again? I have many apps that I need to login to and if necessary I'll do this but I hate to go through a restore and then have to log into each app again. If no other choice I'll do this though.

Sep 26, 2019 9:52 AM in response to Divefrosty

It is always wise and prudent to do a backup of any computer or computing device before embarking on a major uograde/update of such devices.

That is where you made your mistake.

Also, you SHOULD be doing regular/semi[regular backups of any computer or mobile computing device.

Computer and device backups guards against mobile device/computer glitches, malfunctions and hardware/software failures.

If Apple doesn’t issue any sort of fix/patch update soon, you may have to just bite tne bullet and do the erase and reset and face losing your data to get your iPad back to operational condition!

Best of Luck to You!

Sep 27, 2019 2:26 AM in response to MichelPM

I have backups, I know what people Should Do, I've worked in IT for 30 odd years.

I store all that's important in the cloud, so loosing anything I have on the iPad since the last back up, is not an issue, it's just a pain to have to go through hours of such work, but this is IT so expected.

Also this is a work iPad that I use to replicate customer issues, so I'm also not that fussed when it's sorted, I'll do it when I have time.

What would be good is if someone actually did some work around trying to disagnosis what happened, and why, rather than always taking the short cut route, of wipe and restore and not learning why something happened.

Sep 27, 2019 3:30 AM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for your suggestions. I have not been able to get anything to work on my iPad Air 2 since updating. all apps crash or do not load. Couldn't connect to our password protected network--had to use the guest network without a password. Can't seem to erase all content and settings. Tried using recovery mode--couldn't exit--had to use software to get out of recovery mode. iTunes gives an error or crashes. There is a red flag in settings saying that I need to update my Apple ID settings but it just sits and spins after entering my password. I had a perfectly working iPad. I should not have updated. I can't do anything.

Sep 28, 2019 3:36 PM in response to markwco10

I have the same issues + it keeps asking me to reset the passcode. I am unable to Erase all content and settings from the Setting menus. Also, computers will not connect to the ipad (times out(, so I can't restore it from there either. I tried connecting to Itunes from recovery mode, but I don't have a back up on this computer. There was no option to erase and start from new. I am totally prepared to do that since this ipad is basically a door stop otherwise.

Oct 6, 2019 4:27 PM in response to Ricky Clay

This is the procedure that worked for me.

you need to have iTunes open on your computer, your ipad OFF and connect it to your computer holding the home button until the iTunes program recognizes your Ipad,

If you have backed up your ipad either to the cloud or your computer you end up with Ipados 13 and no hangups,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

How to enter iPhone “recovery mode” manually

Turn off your iPhone by holding the Sleep/Wake button until you see ‘slide to power off’. Slide the power-symbol to the right to power off your device. After waiting a couple of seconds, press and hold the Home button at the bottom of your iPhone.

Now connect the iPhone to the computer running iTunes, while still

holding the Home button. If done correctly, iTunes will notice and

display a message regarding the recovery state of your iPhone. You can

now let go of the button and proceed with restoring the device to its

original state by clicking on ‘Restore iPhone’. That was it!

-> https://iphone-tricks.com/tutorial/92-3-ways-to-restore-an-iphone

iPad Air 2 running very slow with iPadOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.