Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't figure out why I get the USB accessories disabled message on my mac which accessory is using too much power

I can't figure out why I get the USB accessories disabled message on my mac which accessory is using too much power?

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 8:46 PM

3 replies

Sep 26, 2019 12:23 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I should have asked the question differently. Of course, it's telling me the problem directly, I get that. The thing is I only have the time machine backup device plugged in and cannot use it if that's the culprit. Otherwise I have no other usb accessories plugged in. I've had the device connected for a long time with no problem before.

Sep 27, 2019 5:19 PM in response to Chattanooga 758

It is possible either your computer or the external drive, or even a cable or adapter has a hardware issue. Try using other USB ports, cables and adapters. Use a dedicated power supply for your external drive as suggested by @BobTheFisherman, or use a powered USB3 hub to supply extra power to the drive.

If you are using an older laptop (pre-2016), then perhaps the keyboard or trackpad has an issue since they are considered USB devices.

I can't figure out why I get the USB accessories disabled message on my mac which accessory is using too much power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.