Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Keychain not turning on

I cannot turn on iCloud Keychain on my iPhone. Whenever I try to turn it on it loads for few seconds and then turns off again. I have recently shifted to iPhone 11 pro max from iPhone XS Max. I tried logging out and logging back in, reset the phone but nothing works.

Please help.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 5:28 AM

Hi RifatManazir,

That is a good news!

Maybe mine was a different cause but it was the same issue.

I got the problem when I used back up of Dev. Beta version to the new iPhone (iPhone 11 Pro Max was not supported iOS 13.1 Dev Beta 4 at that time).

However, I had no luck with

• Using different networks, I tried at work ‘s WiFi, House 1, House 2 and Mobile network (4G) both with VPN and no VPN and both on iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Pro 3.

• Deleting all devices out of the iCloud account.

• Reset all setting on iPhone and iPad.

• Upgraded all devices to iOS 13.1.1

• Use as a new iPhone.

I got this solved by using MacBook, Sign in iCloud in the machine, and toggling Keychain on/off in MacBook.

I would leave this note which could help other people who are unable to solve by using different networks.

Thank you everyone.

Regards,

Boz.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2019 5:28 AM in response to RifatManazir

Hi RifatManazir,

That is a good news!

Maybe mine was a different cause but it was the same issue.

I got the problem when I used back up of Dev. Beta version to the new iPhone (iPhone 11 Pro Max was not supported iOS 13.1 Dev Beta 4 at that time).

However, I had no luck with

• Using different networks, I tried at work ‘s WiFi, House 1, House 2 and Mobile network (4G) both with VPN and no VPN and both on iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Pro 3.

• Deleting all devices out of the iCloud account.

• Reset all setting on iPhone and iPad.

• Upgraded all devices to iOS 13.1.1

• Use as a new iPhone.

I got this solved by using MacBook, Sign in iCloud in the machine, and toggling Keychain on/off in MacBook.

I would leave this note which could help other people who are unable to solve by using different networks.

Thank you everyone.

Regards,

Boz.

Sep 28, 2019 1:22 PM in response to RifatManazir

Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device

If necessary

Hard reset

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup

Sep 28, 2019 5:47 AM in response to RifatManazir

Hey RifatManazir,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I see that you're having issues turning on iCloud Keychain on your iPhone XS Max. I'd be happy to guide you.

If you're seeing iCloud Keychain turning off after a few seconds, you may need to approve iCloud Keychain from another device or have an SMS sent to you if you only have one device:

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

Cheers!

Sep 30, 2019 7:48 AM in response to RifatManazir

Hi RifatManazir,

I have the same problem :/ when I swapped my XS Max to 11 Pro Max.

I used the XS Max iCloud backup to the 11 Pro Max when I swapped the iPhone.

I sent the report to Feedback app

with my iPhone 11 Pro Max on 13.1 Beta 4. Unfortunately, now is 13.1.1 GM, it still has not been fixed.

Sign in with my iCloud account on the iPad (13.1 and 13.1.1), it is not allowed me to turn on keychain from my account as well (when you turn it on, it just bounces back).

Certainly, you are not the only one who has this problem - Unable to turn on iCloud Keychains when swapped from XS Max to 11 Pro Max.

Hope this will be fixed soon.

Cheers,

Kind Regards,

Boz.

Sep 28, 2019 9:22 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks for the response.

I do not have any other device. And the system does not prompt me for any sms or two factor authentication as shown in your attached link. I followed the process mentioned in the link but it does not work. What to do??

By the way I am using iPhone 11 Pro Max. I previously had an iPhone XS Max and Key chain was working fine on that device. But it is not working in my current device (iPhone 11 Pro Max)

Sep 30, 2019 7:19 PM in response to RifatManazir

Hi RifatManazir,

I lost all my Keychain passwords on iPhone (it was locally stored in Accounts & Passwords - in Setting, I could use my passwords even the Keychain was off, but not the services - Home app, all apps that need the Keychain access were denied). However, after a few hours, all saved passwords were just vanished by itself.

So I decided to sign in my iCloud on someone’s MacBook, I skipped the importing stuff part and I only just turned Keychain on in there. I went to check on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, the iCloud Keychain was able to toggle.

Now my iCloud Keychain is on!

If you have an access to Mac OS, please use iCloud on the machine, the Keychain is just needed to be toggled on/off in there.

I hope this will fix your iPhone 11 Pro Max Keychain issue.

Regards,

Boz.

iCloud Keychain not turning on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.