Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email history lost when upgrading to 13.1

Did anyone else lose all mail history when upgrading to iOS 13.1???

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 10:47 AM

To begin with, POP3 was never designed to be used with multiple clients.

All mail downloaded from a POP3 server resides locally on the device.

You may be able to restore the device from the backup made prior to updating.

Going forward, I have two recommendations:

1. Switch to IMAP or Exchange instead of POP3. POP3 is largely considered obsolete. Both IMAP and Exchange will synchronize all clients with the server, ensuring that changes made in one client are reflected in all others. Besides which, if your phone gets run over by a truck, the information will still exist on the server.
  2. Do NOT EVER store anything you actually want to keep in the trash. Not for reference, or anything else. That's just a mind-bogglingly bad idea.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2019 10:47 AM in response to Radiohead67

To begin with, POP3 was never designed to be used with multiple clients.

All mail downloaded from a POP3 server resides locally on the device.

You may be able to restore the device from the backup made prior to updating.

Going forward, I have two recommendations:

1. Switch to IMAP or Exchange instead of POP3. POP3 is largely considered obsolete. Both IMAP and Exchange will synchronize all clients with the server, ensuring that changes made in one client are reflected in all others. Besides which, if your phone gets run over by a truck, the information will still exist on the server.
  2. Do NOT EVER store anything you actually want to keep in the trash. Not for reference, or anything else. That's just a mind-bogglingly bad idea.

Sep 26, 2019 8:19 AM in response to KiltedTim

Over the air. Have a recent online backup, and emails are also manually saved in Outlook on my desktop.

There were no error messages during upgrade.

The emails are held in trash for reference when I’m traveling, and in the Inbox for items I am actively working on..

All that reference material vanished without warning.

This should at least be a caution carried with the upgrade.

I’ve stopped all upgrades for the rest of my firm until this can be resolved.

Email history lost when upgrading to 13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.