Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 text messages marked read

While my phone is connected via Bluetooth to my car, the text messages I receive are automatically marked read. I have searched through settings and do not see anything that says to mark messages as read. It is causing me to miss messages because when I am ready to read messages there aren’t any “unread” so unless I remember that one came through while I was driving I do not check for it.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 10:42 AM

39 replies

Sep 30, 2019 8:09 AM in response to Browarrior42

Hi Browarrior42,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. From my understanding, text messages that arrive while your iPhone is connected to your car automatically show as read even though you didn’t read them. I’d love to share some information with you. 

If you use CarPlay, I recommend adjusting your settings as explained in the support article below:

Send and receive text messages with CarPlay

Kind regards.

Nov 19, 2019 11:51 AM in response to Browarrior42

Hello Everyone;

After I upgraded my XS Max from 12.4.x to 13.2.3 I too experienced the same problem with the messages being marked as read after my car notified me of "incoming message from ..."

The forget device/phone reset/re-pair to car did not work for me, so I did the following:

I have a 2016 Subaru Legacy (no car play support).

(while car stereo is on and paired with phone)

1. Went to car stereo settings and choose Phone
  2. Went to message settings
  3. un-checked "Update message read setting on phone"

Once I did that, everything works as it did in IOS 12.4.x The incoming message is announced via the car prompt, the message notification banner slides down, then goes away. Message app shows badge of unread message. I used Siri via the car and had the message read to me, (I chose not to reply), so Siri ended the sequence of events. Read message badge disappeared.

Repeated several times and all were successful in keeping the "new message" badge displayed when appropriate.

I hope this helps with others! Good Luck!

Oct 31, 2019 11:58 AM in response to anshara

I think I might have found a solution....Got to the bluetooth settings on your phone. Find your car ‘s bluetooth device name. Click on forget device. Close the app and do a soft restart with the phone. (up and down buttons and then hold the power button)

Go back to your vehicle and pair the phone again. I did it yesterday and so far everything is back to normal. Try it out

Nov 7, 2019 5:05 AM in response to Hloppen

I am having the same issue with my 2017 Nissan Rogue. No CarPlay. Been happening since I updated to ios13. I’ve spent hours with Apple tech support and even spent 1.5 hours at Nissan. Still reading my messages while in the car and any messages that are unread before it connects to Bluetooth. So frustrating! I’ve missed some important messages while in my car.

Nov 11, 2019 9:32 AM in response to kschin811

I have had the same problem. When iOS13 came out I was able to stop the issue by forgetting and repairing my phone to the car. Ran another update (assuming that apple fixed the bug) and nothing was resolved. The problem instead came back and can’t be resolved by forgetting and repairing.

My 2018 Nissan Frontier Pro4X is way to expensive to have an issue like this. No CarPlay, so those settings don’t help. Nissan also hasn’t put out a software update for this system and doesn’t seem to be planning to.

One side or the other needs to fix this. Since the problem started with an Apple update, it should be them.

I’ve noticed that no one from Apple Support seems to be replying other than the first reply. This is clearly an issue that they don’t feel is a priority.

Nov 11, 2019 11:59 AM in response to Bucci3270

I thought for sure 13.2 would resolve it. Nope, still happening. I’ve spent 5-6 calls with Apple Tech support trying it with my Nissan which has the issue and my husbands Ford which receives messages like normal. I even spent almost 2 hours at Nissan and they did update my software on my radio but did not fix the issue. Agree, I paid way too much for a vehicle and this iPhone for stuff like this. Plus in Minnesota with hands free laws it’s frustrating that my messages are marked as read so when I get to my destination if I’ve forgotten that I got messages while driving I don’t think to go look since there is no notification on my phone.

Nov 25, 2019 1:57 PM in response to i4bis

I have found nothing that works and my car does not have CarPlay. This is so frustrating and nothing more from Nissan or Apple. I finally just turned off message notifications because I kept missing messages that were being marked as read or messages that were unread when I was walking to my car that are not read once my car connects to bluetooth.

Nov 25, 2019 5:48 PM in response to kschin811

If my Bluetooth is on for my phone I have found that the music/video/e-book will play without being on the Bluetooth Stereo setting of my car. So, if I want to listen to music/videos/e-books oh my phones speakers, while sitting in the car, I have to turn off Bluetooth or play it over the Stereo of the car. I’m also still have the text messages read problem.

Dec 10, 2019 1:30 PM in response to Browarrior42

I had the same issue on mine. 2017 Nissan Titan XD. Only other option is to disable text/email notifications on car because this has to be the culprit to clearing notifications. I've missed many very important messages and I run a business. Not good for my customers. Very disappointed Apple made changes that caused this and should have a setting on the PHONE not the car that controls this. Too many variables to expect auto manufacturers to update software to support how Apple handles their notifications. No response from Apple on this thread is disappointing as well.

Dec 15, 2019 10:45 AM in response to Browarrior42

I have Ford F150 and it is doing it as well.... I had to turn off message alerts for the truck. So the iPhone message app shows all my messages waiting when I check my phone. I have the phone paired with a watch so my watch vibrates when each message comes in. I rather have the truck give me notifications when Im driving but I too was missing important text messages. Really wish Apple would get a fix as it is safer for drivers to have the text messages go through the vehicle rather than looking at devices while driving!!!!

Dec 15, 2019 12:35 PM in response to semperlex

The response I got from Apple was basically they don’t know why it’s happening to pinpoint how to fix it so no fix on the horizon. I wonder if they realize how many devoted Apple fans may jump ship over issues like this and other issues I’ve seen in the past few updates including my battery barely lasting all day since updating to version 13. I’m beyond frustrated.

iOS 13 text messages marked read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.