Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many tabs can be open in Safari on iPadOS or iOS? *** Is there an easy way to keep track? ***

*** Is there a simple way of knowing how many tabs are open In Safari on iPadOS or iOS? ***

in previous discussion several people reported they’d found it to be 500. Others said they couldn’t see why anyone would have or want that many, but at least one answer explained this; often failing to close tabs on leaving Safari.

On iPadOS 13.1.1 on iPad Pro 12.9 inch, 128 Gb, a warning dialog prevented me exceeding 500.

Long before getting anywhere this the plus sign was greyed, preventing a new tab. I could still create new tabs by holding on a link in a previous tab and selecting "Open in new tab". This is great, but eventually it got me to 500.

Keeping a large database of press reports, I often can’t keep up and leave tabs open hoping to return to them. Much of the time I do. I imagine others got to 500 in a similar way. Bad practice, I accept. But we’re human.

If anyone knows an easy way of checking the number of open tabs without just counting, it would help me and others to a) avoid getting into this situation and b) keep track of progress in getting out of it.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 9:39 AM

Found the answer (thanks, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsICAVU2dl4). Hold on stacked squares icon top right. Use the drop down dialogue.

Similar questions

2 replies

How many tabs can be open in Safari on iPadOS or iOS? *** Is there an easy way to keep track? ***

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.