Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not sending text messages to Android phones

Hi not sure if the IOS 13.1 has a bug but since i downloaded it 2 says ago I cannot send android phones a text message.I normally have Imessage on so when you send a text to android it will automatically send it via sms text. However after the new update to 13.1 the message to android phone wont send but stays in blue, then if you press and hold the message it only gives you the option of sending to recipients email address instead of previously 'send as text'.... any ldeas?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 9:21 AM

4 replies

Oct 1, 2019 3:45 PM in response to Higgy-21

Hey there, Higgy!

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. After reading your post, I understand that SMS text messages to Android devices do not go through. I'm happy to help!

There are a variety of reasons you may be having trouble texting Android phones. To help us determine exactly what's going on, and how to fix it, I suggest starting with the following steps from If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support:

"Try these steps first

1. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  2. Check your network connection. To send a message as iMessage or MMS, you need a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection. To send an SMS message, you need cellular network connection. If you turn on Wi-Fi Calling, you can send SMS messages over Wi-Fi."

Next, continue with the following steps, in order, testing after each:

1. Check for, and install, any available iOS updates. Currently, iOS 13.1.2 is available: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
  2. Check for, and install, any available carrier settings updates: Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support.
  3. SMS text messages are sent over your carrier's voice network (About iMessage and SMS/MMS - Apple Support), so next check to see if you're able to make a call. If not, try the steps in If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone - Apple Support.
  4. Contact your carrier to see if everything is provisioned properly on your account, and that there are no issues with their network: Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in the United States and Canada - Apple Support.

Cheers!

Oct 7, 2019 10:18 PM in response to SpunkyinAZ

This is a follow up. I spent 2-1/4 hours on the phone with Becky from Apple Customer Care (‭1 (800) 275-2273‬) today. I gave her all the bits & pieces of what had happened to my computer & phone last week. Essentially: (1) Alert tones for phone & messages went silent. (2) To fix this, Apple Customer Care told me to download 13.1.2; I did. (3) Alert tones worked for 24 hours, then Message alert tones went silent. (4) Apple Customer Care told me to reset all settings; I did. Then I spent hours changing each setting I could find back to my own preferences. Meanwhile I had lost connectivity between the phone & the Mac, first for MMS messages, and a bit later for iMessages. I could send & receive both from the phone. (5) Becky today went step-by-step through a problem-solving guide. I think it is summarized in this link she sent me. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208386 I'm assuming you know to do the basics, like make sure everything is signed into the same iCloud account.

I am now running 13.1.2 on the iPhone and I can send & receive MMS messages and iMessages which appear simultaneously on the computer and the phone.

Oct 5, 2019 10:37 PM in response to jennjenn52

Same here. I was forced to move to OS 13.1.2 because I lost ringtone for messages and for phone. OS 13.1.2 restored ringtones after resetting all settings. But it has taken away my ability to send mms from my linked computer, a MacBook, to an android phone. I can send mms from the phone to an android, though.

What puzzles me in all this is: Does Apple really want thousands of us calling with the same issues? Does the company pay their phone assistants so little that it is easier to burden them with multiple calls about the same thing than to simply ask the engineers to get the bugs out before releasing the new software?

iPhone not sending text messages to Android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.